My truck is smoking like a train.......

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
And its not the good smoke either.....Its not black or white, but a whitish blue.
The story

I was up a the bar shooting pool, got a call about 2 am and a friend was broke down. So i jump in my rig, and go up to pull him home. So we hook the chain up and i take off, i call him and go Hey is my truck smoking, and he is like yeah, and its not diesel either. So i continue to pull him, to his place, then i smell the tailpipe, and almost get knocked on my butt due to the burnt motor oil smell.

This explains the lack of power, and various other things coming from this motor. Now i get the joy of hunting down another IDI. Until i can do that its American XT 30 weight or 20w-50 and a quart of lucas.

I guess she just seen too many loads, (6k in the bed, and 10-15k on a trailer). I guess i can call it cancer, i know one thing, when she startings running like a top, im calling for the trailer cause its gonna go that day.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
It could just be worn valve guides letting it burn lots of oil? Just a guess.

But yeah, I would be looking for a replacement.

smoking89IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your sig said you have a turbo, maybe a seal let loose on it. Try auto rx on it, I have it in mine and its cut the consumption back tremendiously.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your sig said you have a turbo, maybe a seal let loose on it. Try auto rx on it, I have it in mine and its cut the consumption back tremendiously.

I'm glad to hear yet another testimonial for AutoRX like that. I'm about 150 miles into my first "treatment". Only change so far is that my oil pressure seems to run about 3 psi higher at idle (20 psi) and 5-6 psi higher at 2k RPMs (40 psi). If it cuts my consumption by half I'll be happy....

Before you give up on it, I'd check the stuff others have suggested (valve guides, turbo seal, etc.), check for blowby and also do a compression check to at least figure where the oil is going before counting it out...

Then try the AutoRX. I've heard several glowing testimonials on diesel boards for the stuff - that's why I decided to give it a go. For less than 60 bucks its sure worth a try....

smoking89IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No intention of high-jacking your thread but I put auto rx in 1900 miles ago and my oil use has gone from 1qt@800-1000 miles to a half quart (1/4 way down from full) in just these 1900 miles and I have not even gotten to the rinse part of the treatment. $60 now may save you alot of money later in oil after you checked all of the other things. Ok the thread is yours again;)

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No intention of high-jacking your thread but I put auto rx in 1900 miles ago and my oil use has gone from 1qt@800-1000 miles to a half quart (1/4 way down from full) in just these 1900 miles and I have not even gotten to the rinse part of the treatment. $60 now may save you alot of money later in oil after you checked all of the other things. Ok the thread is yours again;)

Right AWWWN! :thumbsup:

Oh Lord, PLEASE let me get that kind of result, PLEASE! :hail :angel:

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
I dont think its a turbo seal,, turbo got 30k on it. Although im thinking it could be the IP. It may not be oil, but we've not a compression tester to check a diesel with. so thatll have to wait. Thing is im losing about 3 quarters every 7500, and the bottom of my truck can tell me why. But ill look into her.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kevin did you mean 3 quarts per 750 miles or 3 qts per 7500? If the later you have no problem, if its every 750 then you have some sort of problem. Sounds like you may have an oil leak not burning it from what you said about the underside of the truck, but that wouldn't explain the burnt oil smell in the exhaust.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kevin did you mean 3 quarts per 750 miles or 3 qts per 7500? If the later you have no problem, if its every 750 then you have some sort of problem. Sounds like you may have an oil leak not burning it from what you said about the underside of the truck, but that wouldn't explain the burnt oil smell in the exhaust.

Yeah, or he could be like me - burnin' some AND leakin' some :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online