My idi overhaul

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used ih pistons and moly rings at 17:1 decompression rate with dual block heaters and an in-line fuel heater

You must be registered for see images attach

You used IH decompression pistons? International doesn’t make pistons for these trucks. How much did you shave off the pistons to calculate 17:1 compression? It would have to be pretty significant, I would want to coat the top of the pistons with removing that much material.

bigblue85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It starts fine. I run dual blockheaters and and glow plugs. It gives a fit but always starts. I ran a non gated because I have another setup to use that I haven’t put on yet. It’s strong on the bottom and great up top as well. I just left room for more boost for later on. It’s a totally different animal than what it was before. I def hit the governor quicker

bigblue85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You used IH decompression pistons? International doesn’t make pistons for these trucks. How much did you shave off the pistons to calculate 17:1 compression? It would have to be pretty significant, I would want to coat the top of the pistons with removing that much material.

I had the pistons shaved locally. And egts never get high on it and I have my probes at the manifold. They were new old stock from a local international dealer a trucking company I worked for purchased from. Ih symbol on the underside of the piston.

bigblue85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is what the boxes looked like. But this isn’t the exact image but the right part # and they do stil make them the part number has superceeded to a new 9c1 number.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s a mahle piston, just stocked in an ih box. These engines all have mahle pistons in from the factory, some had ford emblems cast into the bottom some had international, it’s just depends on what old stock you buy