my idi doin work, broke a chevy's frame in half this weekend

mudduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
30psi damn you must be all modded up? what do you got done?

all that i listed in the specs is all thats done, my wastegate stopped working several months ago and its been boosting that much with no problems yet. hoping by the end of summer to have studs, cam, better turbo, moose pump and injectors too.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
I do the same to get people out sometimes. I got 3 30 foot 6 inch wide straps that I use. Only one so far I had all three hooked together and used 50 ft for my running start in second gear high. But that was for a tri axle dumper that was sinking. Got it out though. Have yet to not be able to get anyone out, 100% right now. Lol

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Copper and steel are expensive. I guess Ford's philosophy is to save money on copper and invest in steel. Chevy is the opposite. LOL

You can put out a fire with a fire extinguisher (all my trucks are so equipped), but you can't put a frame back together with something in a big spray can. :)

Actually, the one thing we heard at the Rouge plant tour during last months IDI Weekend (gosh... I can't believe this time last month I was on vacation with my brotherhood... *sigh* ) was that the F-150's were going to an all alluminum frame. This could only be an improvement on the current F-150, as I'm sure the frame's are supper strong when they leave the factory (fully boxed!) but with those holes in them, and no where for the salt to go once it gets inside, I suspect in 10 or 15 years the current crop of F-150's will have some of the worse frames in Ford history. Unless they have some super magic coating that is impermeable..... time will tell.
You must be registered for see images

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
All Aluminum frame? :eek: The machining costs must offset the higher cost of the metal... Or perhaps since not very much steel is made here, it's probably way cheaper to ship aluminum... Who knows...

The exodus of weight has been happening for a long time, the triton engine in my van is more plastic than steel. As a result a warped intake manifold often results in a crankcase full of coolant. cookoo That's what took out engine #1 in my van. I am running on a 40k mile Ford reman.

Thanks for the picture, Mel!

As for the fire on our service truck, sad irony is that we had used up the big fire extinguisher a few days prior on a small grass fire started by one of our techs torching out some rusted tower bolts. We attacked it with the indian can, but by that point it was far too involved to save it. Just stand back and watch the show... :smoke:

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Woof, that's a little rope you're using. At least you weren't using mine, the chevy might have come out in more than 2 pieces.

You must be registered for see images attach

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can put out a fire with a fire extinguisher (all my trucks are so equipped), but you can't put a frame back together with something in a big spray can. :)
You can always do what my grandfather did and keep a welding torch in the truck at all times. :D Came in handy once...he had a '56 F-100 and he was hauling either two or four (my dad can't remember which) rail car wheels to the dock to be used as buoy anchors. These wheels were heavy enough (and he had done it more than once) that the frame finally snapped between the cab and the bed while he was driving down a busy street in Orange County :shocked: so, in the middle of the street, he jacked up the two sides, held them in place with jackstands, and welded the frame back together cookoo ...never had a problem with the truck's frame again, even though he kept overloading the truck to no end...

4x4manonbroke

Diesel Master
Reaction score
LOL..... im glad my 77 chev never did anyhting like that .... but I must say I would take my 87 F-250 xlt lariat over my ol chev any day......I must admit I always hated fords till 4 years ago when I purchaced this truck...she's awesome in the snow, mud and aything I ask it to climb...... love my IDI 7.3

I will post some pics soon of my beast .... ;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789

Members online