my idi doin work, broke a chevy's frame in half this weekend

mudduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got a couple pics and video's of my old idi doin work on my buddy's chevy this weekend, i feel bad about breaking his frame in half but im helping him build a new rig so its ok. specs on my truck- 91 f250 7.3 idi with my home made side mount turbo boostin 30 psi in these video's, zf5, kp d60 front and sterling 10.25 welded rear, grooved out 40" gumbos, pump turned all the way up but ip and injectors are leaking like crazy, 5" stack.

this is the chevy gettin stuck
You must be registered for see images attach

the rest are video's of me pullin on him

this video is dark but its where i finally get him out

one of the video's you can see my hook getting ripped out of the back. the hook was welded on both sides of my 1/4" square tube bumper and had gussets that were all spray transfer welded, the bumper is toast too, ill get some pics of all that tomorrow.

the chevy is on 38" tsl's and his rear axle was dug up against a 16" diameter tree stump so i had to break the stump off and pull his truck out at the same time, here's what his frame looks like now

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a fun day in hell!

Thats why you don't go up against chevys, they turn into banana splits...

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
I imagine it didn't take much to break the Chebby's frame ;Poke :shocked: LOL

When I was a young'an my dad worked for an oilfield services company, he drove a mid eighties slant nose f350 4x4 diesel and loved it. I spent many nights siting in the cab with the heater on listening to the am radio while he worked call-ins to restart stalled pumping units. Around about 1992 they "upgraded" his truck to a GMC 2500 4x4. He hated that truck because it would stall on him when he put the electrical system under load (he had to jump start big six cylinder CNG engines, the old diesel wouldn't flinch but the huge electrical load would stall the chevy out every time) I hated it because the radio quit after about three months of off road abuse where he worked. After two years (yes, honestly two years) the frame started cracking right behind the cab. Within a couple months the frame got so bad they had to pull the truck from service, and dad went back to the old f350. He drove that truck until we moved out of town for a new job in '96.

I've got good memories of hanging out with my dad in that old truck, it always got him to and from call ins at all times of night. never once broke down and left him stranded...

I'm not sure if all chevy frames are weak, but I've avoided those trucks like the plague ever since, I've seen with my own eyes the bed and cab get all taco-like on those trucks, with a lot less weight on them than the old Ford ever had... :dunno

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm not sure how both frames are in two pieces...damn, talk about coming to the end of your rope!!!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was a young'an my dad worked for an oilfield services company, he drove a mid eighties slant nose f350 4x4 diesel and loved it. I spent many nights siting in the cab with the heater on listening to the am radio while he worked call-ins to restart stalled pumping units. Around about 1992 they "upgraded" his truck to a GMC 2500 4x4. He hated that truck because it would stall on him when he put the electrical system under load (he had to jump start big six cylinder CNG engines, the old diesel wouldn't flinch but the huge electrical load would stall the chevy out every time) I hated it because the radio quit after about three months of off road abuse where he worked. After two years (yes, honestly two years) the frame started cracking right behind the cab. Within a couple months the frame got so bad they had to pull the truck from service, and dad went back to the old f350. He drove that truck until we moved out of town for a new job in '96.

I've got good memories of hanging out with my dad in that old truck, it always got him to and from call ins at all times of night. never once broke down and left him stranded...

I'm not sure if all chevy frames are weak, but I've avoided those trucks like the plague ever since, I've seen with my own eyes the bed and cab get all taco-like on those trucks, with a lot less weight on them than the old Ford ever had... :dunno

nice story. but let's be honest, ford does have a weak point too....they like to catch on fire....don't they? :D

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
nice story. but let's be honest, ford does have a weak point too....they like to catch on fire....don't they? :D

Now see, I was playing nice, even though I prolly prefer what everyone around here calls brand X! lmao

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
do tell!!!!!!!!!!!! well be waiting...

I've had the unfortunate luck of being stranded on a mountain while watching a OBS crewcab 4x4/460 F350 burn to the ground, loaded with $60k or so worth of tools on account of oversized tires coupled with severe offroad use and a weak crimp on a power steering hose...

I used to be in the communications business, we built radio towers and such. We had a fleet of about 20 trucks, all the same as I described above. Of those, two caught fire within a couple months of eachother, and the one I was in burnt to the ground.

cookoo

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buddy of mines bricknose (not diesel) blew a power steering line and caught fire when he was competing in the mud bogs. Thankfully they got it extinguished pretty quick and damage was minimal. Considering he runs a 3 inch body lift on one side of the rad support the fire is the least of that trucks issues.

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought you were referencing the cruise control issues.

actually, as maligned as GM's goes, you rarely ever hear of electrical fires in a GM. Ford otoh, likes to cook off their ignition slider switch, headlight switch, and on OBS trucks, they brake pressure switch at the end of the master cyl. I've been forced to use the '05 F550 on some remote recovery situations, and more than once I had to break out the satphone in order to get "rescued" myself.