My first time pulling with the 6.9 story

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Timing is not all that much more difficult than in a gasser, but you need the right tools. Most/many people are using an adjustable strobe timing light and something like the Ferret pulse adapter these days. If you can find a good snapon MT1480 or 480 for a price you're willing to go along with go for it, but beware, because most if not all of the relevant replacement parts have recently been obsoleted and are difficult or impossible to source new, used may be expensive and sketchy at best. If you do buy one make sure all adapters and such are there and seem to be in good condition, at least the ones you want. An IP should not be bad within two years, and I have no idea what "servicing" the injectors means. Maybe he cleaned them? Well and good, but if the internals have already worn out of specs it won't do any good. I'd pull them and have the pop off pressures and spray patterns checked and replace them all if you get 2 or more bad ones, replace the affected unit if its just a single one and all the others seem healthy. You can get rebuilds on ebay for around 125 and new ones for around 175-225 for a new(not reman) set.

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These rigs were all geared fairly tall for city school routes for fuel mileage too, they weren't optimal for mountains.

i am sent out on delivery alot i have never seen such ballless trucks as the chevy ones they give our store for deliveries (lets just say i work for a home improvement store, a well known one) they are 6 spd manuals, goverened and have issues making hills empty. (they are the big box trucks) some hills here you can start going up at 60 and at the top you are lucky to be going 25 or 30. i would hate to see the egts on those.

this is around the branson area, you know how some of the hills are here.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
i am sent out on delivery alot i have never seen such ballless trucks as the chevy ones they give our store for deliveries (lets just say i work for a home improvement store, a well known one) they are 6 spd manuals, goverened and have issues making hills empty. (they are the big box trucks) some hills here you can start going up at 60 and at the top you are lucky to be going 25 or 30. i would hate to see the egts on those.

this is around the branson area, you know how some of the hills are here.

Oh I can imagine :eek: Running through there dragging the 5er means 2nd gear in quite a few places. I bet you just LOVE those traffic jams trying to get near those construction sites :backoff

--------Robert

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online