My F250 axle swap - D50 to D60

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting all the part numbers and such. I've got a dana 60 to put under my 93 and this will help a ton!!!

-Jeremy

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Part 2! - rear blocks installed.

I decided to make my own blocks - great deal posted by laserjock but I need to ship to the border and then drive down... and I am an independent SOB and prefer to make my own cookoo

Cut from 4 x 4 x 0.25 wall rectangular tube, end plates are 3/8.
You must be registered for see images attach

Found new Dayton u-bolts from a local truck shop for $55. A little paint and they are good to go.

Now ready for the installation. The best part of this job (well any job for that matter) was being able to exploit child labour! My son did most of the work while I nursed a beer and hollered instructions :cheers:

After putting the axle up on stands and blocking the drive shaft up the old u-bolts rattled off easily with the impact. Really nice to be able to lift the truck with a loader!

Not much left to do but drop in the new blocks, u-bolts and get a torque wrench on them

The final product! Much better now. I will finally have to put a running boards (steps) on this ;Really and I want to install a holy F^ck bar on the passenger side.

This weekend I will finish installing the front drive axles.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those are really nice. If I had a lot of time, I'd do something like that. ;Sweet

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They didn't take long to make but my buddy owns a steel warehouse and fab shop, I had him saw up the 4 x 3 nice and square... I hacked the bump stops out using a cutoff wheel. Total time to build the two was less than an hour.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Getting metal is a real problem for me. I more often then not have to order it. The couple metal supply places around here that will sell less than huge quantities are open bankers hours and not at all on the weekends. I envy you guys with easy access and stockpiles.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Part 3 - Drive axles installed.

I had not installed the front drive axles, I decided to replace the outer axles. I ordered brand new Spicer axles from Jeff's Bronco Graveyard. Both axles cost under $200. I was not happy with the outer axles that I had, one had galling on the bearing surface (needle bearing) and the other axle didn't have any snap ring grooves. This was confusing for me - I expected to find snap rings but apparently the D60 does not use them? :dunno I was very concerned that the axle shaft would move in and out - the outward movement was limited by the spindle seal, the inward movement would only stop when the yoke hit the end of the axle housing (pic)

I couldn't leave it like that; if the axle jiggled off center (could only happen when driving straight) then I could see an issue with the steering binding. :eek: I decided to install a snap ring like the D50 used.

To locate the position of the snap ring I first installed the hub and lock mechanism. I cocked the wheels hard to one side and rotated the wheel with the hub locked. This allowed the yoke to find its natural center. Using a caliper I measured the position of the snap ring from the end of the axle stub leaving about 0.020" for play.

Quick spin on the lathe and a grinder with a cutoff wheel and the snap ring groove is done

Finally! with the drive shafts installed I can do the final test. Lock the hubs, put the transfer case in 4x4, release the brakes and... Yep! Front diff has the same gearing as the rear :rotflmao

Last edited:

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a heck of a way to find out. Although strictly speaking, I haven't had the front and rear diffs that are going under my truck hooked together via tcase yet so I suppose there is an outside chance I'll have a surprise.. At this point, I'm not sure anything would surprise me.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL I confirmed the axle numbers (door jamb) and also counted revolutions so I knew it was good... Still a relief to put it in gear and know it works :rolleyes:

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
;Sweet As they say the proof is in the pudding. Personally, I like tapioca.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice job, love the blocks.

Always nice to see a project like yours come together so nicely. You are quite lucky...a lathe, must be nice. That does...make life so much easier eh?

Truck looks really sharp and I've got to say that bumper is boss! Are you going to tack some small wings on each side to meet up with fenders like angular plates that cover lower lip of forward edge of fender?

Again nice job and I look forward to seeing more of this fine build.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck looks really sharp and I've got to say that bumper is boss! Are you going to tack some small wings on each side to meet up with fenders like angular plates that cover lower lip of forward edge of fender?

Naw... Trying to keep the weight down! :rotflmao Actually I like the open style.

Lathe is nice. I want a bigger one though. :sly

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online