MT480 on ebay (ended)

SearsMech

Reaction score
Did anybody see this on ebay?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Snap-MT-480...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I was doing some research on a Kent-Moore timing meter available locally and came accross this. There was 3 min. left on the the auction and 1 bid. I was waiting for the war to begin and when it diddn't I placed a bid for 150, it was imediatelly raised then time ran out. He got it for 151.50. Did nobody see it, or am I missing something? It looks brand new and complete. I know if something is to good to be true it "probably" is.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Well, awhile back someone posted one from eBay.
Someone else got mad because they had bid on it, and a third person apparently just raised the bid with no intention of buying. So not many get posted anymore. Lol
Good price if it worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You lucked out. The parts are no longer available for them, and that's a luminiosity probe. Ican will see this and tell you all about it.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, awhile back someone posted one from eBay.
Someone else got mad because they had bid on it, and a third person apparently just raised the bid with no intention of buying. So not many get posted anymore. Lol
Good price if it worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And I was the guy that got to pay more. That guy probably ended up costing me another $100 but in the end I can time my own engines with a fine piece of machinery.

SearsMech

Reaction score
I just bought a Ferret box and Inova timing light so I wasn't in any hurry to shell out some bucks, but man that thing was sweet looking. I'm a sucker for Snap-On tools, I just couldn't believe no one was bidding on it.

When I first saw it with 3 min. remaining it was like 148.50 with 1 bid, so I waited and when no war broke out I bid 150 in case some one just put a bid on it early and wasn't watching it in case they could get it cheap. It also could have been the owner using a 3rd party to try and run up the bid now that I'm thinking about it.

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
This is a very nice looking meter with all the needed parts to use it. Now the bad part of owning a snapon meter like this.You can't buy replacement parts for it. The luminosity probe is not replaceable so if that fails and they do fail. you have no meter. Its a sad thing for one failed part to ruin a good meter like this. right now on ebay there is another mt480 listed at $31.00 so far. It does not have the needed luminosity probe so it worthless at any price. the seller alludes that there are parts available thru Snapon or thru ebay.. Thats not completely true either. you MIGHT be able to find a lumi probe on ebay but that a chance taken on faith. I do have several lumi probes but thats because I got them with several of the timing meters I have bought over the years of purchases. This meter looks like a new meter too. Someone got lucky buying it. Timing by luminosity probe method is not the chosen way but it wil work just the same. It just takes more work using this type of timing meter and your results will be the same as the pulse type timing method. The difference is in the degrees of timing used. The pulse method uses the advance setting and the limunosity probe timing uses the retarded timing reading. the both end up the same if you use the other timing meter too. I believe the pulse is 8.5 dbtdc and the lumi is negative 5 or 6 datdc.

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
I just bought a Ferret box and Inova timing light so I wasn't in any hurry to shell out some bucks, but man that thing was sweet looking. I'm a sucker for Snap-On tools, I just couldn't believe no one was bidding on it.

When I first saw it with 3 min. remaining it was like 148.50 with 1 bid, so I waited and when no war broke out I bid 150 in case some one just put a bid on it early and wasn't watching it in case they could get it cheap. It also could have been the owner using a 3rd party to try and run up the bid now that I'm thinking about it.

No, what happened is that ebay uses 'proxy' bidding so you don't have to be there monitoring the auction. For example, if an item is listed for $50 you can bid $200, but you are actually only bidding $50 unless someone else bids on the item. Then ebay bids automatically on your behalf up to the $200, so if someone bids $100 on the item ebay will bid $101.50 on your behalf. So in return if someone bid $250 against you the current bid would be $201.50 with them winning.