Introduction plus question

Erwin Romel

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I am located in Europe, Prague, Czech Republic. I have imported 1986 F250 6.9 IDI which I bought on my last vacation in the US. Bought it at the beginning of my vacation and traveled 4000 miles through different states without any major issue. It is fun truck, I chose diesel because of the fuel prices in Europe, plus the ability to run it on alternative fuel.

The question is: I need to set the timing and I came across the Kent Moore Tach n time tool, which is sold on eBay. It has a magnetic pickup, the diesel clamp, all seems to be there. I am just not sure how all that works, the only diesel timing tool I have seen was with the strobe light. It looks like the strobe light can be added to the tach n time, but I would look for more info from somebody that is familiar with the device.
Thanks for any comment.

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Search the forum for "Timing a 7.3 with a Ferret adapter."

Good luck.

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Which model # do you have + a picture of the set if you can.

Fixnstuff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,...

The question is: I need to set the timing and I came across the Kent Moore Tach n time tool, which is sold on eBay. It has a magnetic pickup, the diesel clamp, all seems to be there. I am just not sure how all that works, the only diesel timing tool I have seen was with the strobe light. It looks like the strobe light can be added to the tach n time, but I would look for more info from somebody that is familiar with the device.
Thanks for any comment.

Hello, Erwin,
First, go to the following link, or URL and download the manual. It's a Military HumVee Component Testing and Troubleshooting Manual. 168 pages .pdf).
Go to Section 4. ENGINE, page 4-3, part D
ENGINE INJECTION PUMP TIMING
PROCEDURES USING KENT-
MOORE TACH-N-TIME METER
(Figures 4-3 through 4-7)
https://gear-report.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/HMMWV A1 Troubleshooting.pdf

That will explain how to use that meter. After that section it explains the use of the Snap On timing meter.

SECONDLY, I suggest that you check out the following topic at FTE posted by lonewolf :

DIY (Do It Yourself) Luminosity Timing Probe
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1588837-diy-luminosity-timing-probe.html#post18737053

You'll see that he knows a lot about this subject at a very professional level and could probably answer any questions you have.

His DIY design is for a Luminosity Timing Probe, (the luminosity probe inserts into a glow plug hole and picks up the flash from detonation and converts that to an electrical signal) and the meter you are considering buying has a magnetic probe that points to the timing marks on the harmonic balancer.

The first image in his post is part of an image from a PATENT for the type of timing meter that you are considering buying, with the magnetic probe. The Patent Number is in that image so you can look up that patent for additional info, but WARNING: Patents are often written by Patent Attorneys, using a combination of legal document language and technical language and are quite difficult to read and cross reference to the drawings. It takes organization and a lot of patience.

When studying patents, an easy way for me is to copy all of the patent drawings/images into one folder. Open that folder (or rather your image viewer) and reduce that window size to the left 1/2 of your computer screen and use the right half of the screen to read the patent TEXT. That way you can open whatever drawing the text is referring to on the left side of the screen without losing your place in the complicated text which is open on the right side.

OTHERWISE you would be constantly scrolling back and forth through the pages of patent, from text pages to drawing pages and back again Just one sentence of text can contain 3 or 4 different references in the drawings so that gets very confusing scrolling back and forth through pages in the document just to get through one sentence.

I hope that made some sense. Simply put: it's like having the drawings on the left side of your desk with the text document on the right side of your desk. When a component in a specific drawing is referenced in the text you simply find the correct drawing on the left and you never have to leave the paragraph and sentence you are studying by having to scroll back through pages to find the correct drawing, and then scroll back to try to find where you were reading in the text. You only have to look at the correct drawing on the left an never leave your placemark on the right.

There are probably better ways to do the same thing, known by people who work a lot with documents in .pdf. I'm running lnux with Foxit Reader for a PDF viewer and that's the only way I know how to do it without going back to school. (Which at 70 yrs old this month I am not going to do.

GOOD LUCK over there in the Czech Republic.

Fixnstuff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correction to what I just posted. That patent is NOT "the same" as the 'Kent Moore Tach n time' meter you mentioned.
That patent shows a luminosity probe AND a magnetic pick-up (probe). The 'Kent Moore Tach n time' apparently uses a piezoelectric clamp on a steel injector line.

I had looked up several different patents on diesel timing meters, using that patent for a starting reference and was probably thinking of a different. The 'Kent Moore Tach n time' is probably more like the Ford Rotunda model.

By the way that "ROTUNDA" name (used for the Rotunda Tools) comes from a big round Ford Motor Company building which was located in Dearborn Michigan before it caught on fire and burnd down. It was a MAJOR US Tourist Attraction during the 20th century.

Check out the story:
Ford Rotunda
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Rotunda

You must be registered for see images attach

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Erwin! Welcome to the forum and the idi world! My wife was born and grew up in Prague, right near Museum. We try to go and visit for a month or so at least every other year. It would be great to meet up and take a look at your truck next time we are in town. And I agree with whoever said that you should post some pictures of you and your truck in the city!

Erwin Romel

Reaction score
I definitely get looks, especially when I take off, the haze of smoke. Everybody here is driving retarded 3 cylinder crap engines, I like to be different, the minimum cylinder number for me is 6, 8 is optimal, 12 is excellent. Forgot to mention it is straight piped, sounds like a freaking train.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online