MT480...correct timing tool for 6.9/7.3 diesels?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys....looking at one of these over on ebay...wondering if it's the correct tool and if so... how much a used one is worth? Thanks...
J.D.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Hey guys....looking at one of these over on ebay...wondering if it's the correct tool and if so... how much a used one is worth? Thanks...
J.D.

JD

Yes that is the correct tool. Be carefull, I'm watching that one also (not bidding). It doesn't look to be complete. I don't see the most important and easiest to lose part. The adapter that goes in the glow plug hole for the lumy probe. I bought one off eBay a year ago and was assured it was complete. Guess what it's not. That little adapter can still be had from Snap-On for around $216. Ouch! Right now Ryan Eklund has mine along with Zeke's trying to time his truck and verify mine works before I buy that little adapter. PM Reklund and he'll let you in on the problems he's having.

I paid $90 plus shipping for mine. One just sold on eBay two weeks ago that looked to be brand new and had both the MT160 and MT161 adapters for near $200. However, just those two adapters are worth $400 new so it may have been worth it. The MT 1480's (digital version) usually go for the $200 price range. They don't make either of them anymore so I would guess they will only increase in value.

Tom

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you think is missing from it Tom? So Reklund is working with yours eh? He seems to be having a tough time with it. Thanks for the help.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
What do you think is missing from it Tom? So Reklund is working with yours eh? He seems to be having a tough time with it. Thanks for the help.

I don't see the lumy probe adapter. Same thing that's missing from mine. Doesn't mean it's not there, but I believe it's not all laid out to see because he's hiding something. Even still, if the price is right, it may be worth it. That was kinda my way of thinking. Of course I didn't know the part I needed was over $200 at the time.

Tom

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score

Most of his problem seems to be stemming from not getting an RPM reading with the magnetic pickup. He may make some progress tomorrow.

Tom

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
It's a little tricky getting the magnetic pickup off the balancer. Gotta keep moving it around until you get a good signal.

93_E_350

7.3 IDI NA
Reaction score
I’ve got pictures and manuals in PDF format for both the MT 480 and MT 1480 posted on my web site under “timing meters and related documents”. You are welcome to download these.

Ask good questions when looking at any meter. If they have the lumy probe ask if it is clear or cracked? I’ve got a picture of a probe (unknown probe) that I believe is for a Ford Rotunda Diesel Timing Meter, the probe is new and crystal clear – even used the lumy probe should be clear.

Magnetic pick up - In the manuals they recommend cleaning the harmonic balancer. I would also clean the gap (timing mark) out real good on the balancer to increase chances of success.

Last edited:

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm headed out now to give it another try. I'm going to take some emery cloth to the balancer, and clean that grove out well to try an maximize my results.

With EZ's meter, I got it to full-field the degree scale the other day, which indicated that it worked and was getting power, but I couldn't get ANY reading on the RPM Scale. I thought perhaps the pickup was no good.

Yesterday I tried Tom's meter with JUST the RPM pickup installed (I had left EZ's entire setup at home, so I didn't have the lumy probe) and didn't get any RPM reading.

I'm planning on tinkering until I get SOMETHING today...

Ryan

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. E350 I saw your site and downloaded the PDF. I'm also watching 2 rotunda meters over there. Again, I'm not positive if they are the right ones for 6.9/7.3 setup, but I would guess they have to be since the 6.9/7.3 were the only IDI diesels Ford offered and I would assume PSD timing is handled via the computer(I could be mistaken) if someone would have a look I would be grateful. I'm coming around to the idea that I may as well just spend the money on the tools since its about $75-125 to have timing done with tools and its increasingly hard to find a shop with the tools and a tech who knows what he's doing and wants to mess with it. Thanks,
J.D.

93_E_350

7.3 IDI NA
Reaction score
The Rotunda meters would work with the IDI diesel engines. Ask about the probe, do they have one and it it clear?

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I think some are using the ferret pulse type tool with the MT480 as well. JD, I am watching several over there as well, will try to stay out of your way if I bid at all.

93_E_350

7.3 IDI NA
Reaction score
I think some are using the ferret pulse type tool with the MT480 as well. JD, I am watching several over there as well, will try to stay out of your way if I bid at all.

The ferret style pulse adapter could be used with the MT 1480 because the 1480 comes with an inductive pickup for a spark plug wire, the MT 480 does not come with an inductive pick up. There are other gasser timing meters that look similar to the 480 but only have the magnetic pickup and an inductive clamp (for the spark plug wire) that when combined with a pulse type adapter would work on diesel engines.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Scott there are 2 rotunda meters there. What is your ebay name...I'll try to stay out of your way too. I think I'll let someone else snag the MT480... scared I will wind up spending extra money on it anyway.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726