morning routine. starts, runs and dies

Darryl97420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is getting really old really quick. My van will start just fine, run for a good 10 to 30 seconds and then just quit. getting it restarted is not fun as it takes allot of time but it will eventually restart. The rest of the day it starts and runs just fine. I've asked a friend of mine who also has a 6.9 and he keeps suggesting the injection pump be replaced so I am here looking for a second opinion. I would imagine your guess would be as good as his guess.

Anyone want to throw out some ideas?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome the the forum... first off some questions needs to be asked.... About this pump... How many miles are on it... Do you see any wetness around any injectors. Does the lift pump have a wet connections around it... Any fuel wetness is a leak... As fuel leaks out air gets drawn into th fuel system causing the hard starting you describe. So please answer these questions so others can help...

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2 plus inspect the fuel line upstream as well. A slow leak in the water separator will do exactly what you describe. I'd definitely hold off on the injector pump.

SHIP4BRAINS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x3. Many of us have been through this. Replacing the return line hoses, o-rings and injector caps solved my problem a couple years ago. A leaky o ring in my fuel filter also caused this recently.

1994IDI

Reaction score
It just happened to me. It was a fuel line into the injector. As Gary said, check for wetness around all fuel system components, and post back here.

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
I recently replaced my older-than-OEM w/s ('83 type) because of weird fuel system issues. I recommend a Racor 500FG30. I'll be putting one on to replace the Vormax b/c my friend wants it back. :(

milightfo

BLACK SMOKE
Reaction score
u can replace the mechanical pump with a electric fuel pump,my 84 did this even after replacing return lines,cant find a leak but obviously ones there,but this mod fixed the problem,lots of info for that problem on this site ,good luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online