more power from 1983 dt 466 w 6+1

ctkiteboarding

Reaction score
need a little advise o how to turn up my old dump ,,, she runs well and only has 70k on her ,,,,, id like to get 30 or 40hp more ,any ideas or direction to some one who can help in the ct ny ri mass area thanks R

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll get lots of "advice", but if you want to do it "right", I would buy a DT466 pump, turbo & injectors that are calibtrated for the HP level you want to achieve. Let's say you have a 210HP and want to go to 250HP. You buy a 250 pump and the injectors & turbo that go with it along with the right timing advance.

You can easily find out the part numbers (I can prolly get them for you) and you can swap the parts on to your DT. The pump you have on the '83 model is a ****** to get more fuel out of and even if you get it right, you will have the wrong turbo & injectors from a lower HP level. You'll just endd up with a mess that smokes a lot but probably won't run right or too hot.

I'd like to tell you to just "turn up the pump", but it'll leave you with a DT466 that might run too high EGT's or other problems resulting in premature failures.

In 1983 the DT466 was available from 160-210HP, so if you're at 210HP, you're already at the top. The other problem is that the DT466 of that year was not aftercooled (known as a "DTA466"). The next year more than 210HP was available was 1987, when 215, 230 & 240 HP models became available.

Just my .02, but I've already been there & done that.

Last edited:

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ctkiteboarding said:
is that swap a do it yourselfer thing or a diesel pro type thing R

depends on how good you are. I could do the injectors & turbo blindfolded, the pump I'd need my diesel buddy to give me a hand setting it up.

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
Duke said:
depends on how good you are. I could do the injectors & turbo blindfolded, the pump I'd need my diesel buddy to give me a hand setting it up.
Duke:Am I you buddy? :hail Or you think I'd set it up too much? :Sly

Even better than just a hi-po pump swap, you can swap to a hi-po inline pump (PES6A or M&W) from an 84-92 so you have more adjustability and better driveability. It bolts in place of the ol' rotary one, and you'd just need to add the fuel lines to the parts list Duke gave you. Then it'll be pretty like the one in the pic below :love:

Attachments

• 466injpump6a.jpg
    466injpump6a.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 52

ctkiteboarding

Reaction score
are these all used items??? is their anyone in the tristate area that can get and install this stuff properly ,,,no hacks this truck pulls everyday , realibility is crutcial R

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get them used, but then you're just installing someone else's crap on a good truck. If you need to keep the cost down, buy IH reNEWed parts, they're rebuilt to factory specs. Take it to a big IH dealer, they can handle it no problem.

Still haven't told us what HP your DT is right now.

ctkiteboarding

Reaction score
im not really sure ,,, my guess is 190ish but thats a total guess ,,, im sure its some where on the truck,,,, ill call my dealer for more info on these up grades ,,, any idea of general cost,,, ,,, any suggeted part # or part manuf. names and models ,,,, thanks ,,,,, you guy are super helpfull,,,, id be alittle bit scare to just ask the dealer that i want more power without some tech. back ground to varify he know's what he talkin about R :thumbsup:

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The HP is stamped on the label on the top of the engine. Can't miss it.

Rough costs for IH reman parts:

Pump-$1,100
Turbo-$ 700
Injectors $37/each

You can believe a good IH dealer has been asked "how can I turn up my DT466?" a gazillion times.

If reliability is a must, do it the right way.

Last edited:

ctkiteboarding

Reaction score
ill ck in the am,,, moving onto a new job so ill be driving most of the morning and wishin i had more power,,,,,, hahaha ,,,,, im going to set up an appointment for a service and upgrade looks like it should be easy and i hope worth it thanks R

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your dealer or mechanic should be able to do a pump turbo & injectors in a 8-9Hr day.

ctkiteboarding

Reaction score
called them this am didnt sem like they were to interested but maybe i can go see the wrench in the shop and chat R

ctkiteboarding

Reaction score
im sure they can help me out just have to speak w the shop manager and tell him excatly what i want R

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could also ask around your 'hood & see what truck/diesel shops have a good reputation.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online