more power from 1983 dt 466 w 6+1

ctkiteboarding

Reaction score
the truck is a 1981 and the motor is at 180 hp,,, do u think a jump to 210 will do it for me or should try for abit more R

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, 210 is better than 180, but 210 ain't much once it's loaded, you won't notice much difference. Diesel trucks of the 80's & 90's were simpler & more reliable, but the new ones have gobs more power.

Is upgrading to a newer used truck with more balls out of the question?

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...not getting enough satisfaction from bombing your bosses truck? LOL

ctkiteboarding

Reaction score
no ,keeping this truck , shes pretty cln and paid for , as well as under the cdl so others can drive it,,, im also close to buying a 96 8100 w/ 12 dump dt 466 w/ 210 and a 6 speed,, over the cdl,, paving abit more so 2 trucks are nessesary,, do u think i can go up to 250 with the 81 dt???? or will it hurt it,, R

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your truck is under CDL, then 180-210 HP should be enough for a 26,000 GVWR or less truck.

You have to look at the DT466 this way: It's probably one of the toughest diesels ever built, but it's not the cheapest to modify for streetable big power. If it's in a pulling tractor, you have probably one of the best diesels for pulling, but you need to make a living with yours and running the EGT's up to 1700 because you turned a screw on the pump isn't a smart option if you overheat it. Reconsider- buy a truck with the power level close to what you need from the factory or add the correct parts to keep your truck dependable.

I can't afford to screw mine up and fork out $7,000 for a rebuild. It's my truck, not someone elses. I own it and I need it to feed my family. I can't afford the downtime, either.

If it was a beater or a hobby truck, it would be a different story. :Sly

ctkiteboarding

Reaction score
im thinkin the 210 up grade,,, pump turbo and injectors ,, will be what i get ,,, still have to see if the dealer will install these items,, i hope they will ,,, they have serviced the truck many times and i trust them for reliability etc R

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
Duke said:
...not getting enough satisfaction from bombing your bosses truck? LOL
I think I'd rather have one in an F350. One of them project ideas.
So now you're makin fun of me? I see how it is :kick: :draw :backoff . Beat me down cuz I drive a Geo. :moon: :oops: One of these days I'll upgrade to an ******.

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nevrenufhp said:
So now you're makin fun of me? I see how it is :kick: :draw :backoff . Beat me down cuz I drive a Geo. :moon: :oops: One of these days I'll upgrade to an ******.

Yeah.... a Ford ****** diesel :love: LOL

j/k pal.

Last edited:

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would love a Ranger 4x4 or F-150 4x4 with a small & economical, but tough diesel for running errands.

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
Or....get some kustom injectors, tune the pump a little, and a better turbo...Bam....300+hp.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01