More Plow Plug Help- its that season

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am taking out the fuse-able links behind the passenger side battery. Then installing a fuse block. I need to know the amperage of the glow plug supply wire so I put in heavy enough wire, and a fuse that will support the GP's. I have looked at other threads but not found this info.
Its the truck in my signature.

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Each glow plug will suck up 20 amps when first starting to glow for about 2 to3 seconds, then reduces to around 3 to 5amps for a 15 second cycle, providing you have the zig zag Chromolox strip still there, that protects the wiring from inrush current which could be over 200 amps total. Fuse to use, 100 amp rating, they are expensive, or similar. Holder is a bolt down tab. http://www.ferrazfuses.com/cms_admi...anager/connectors/php/bin/GP Class L A4BQ.pdf

Last edited:

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow- I did not think the current wire size was that heavy!
So what size wire will support 200 amps. I had bad fuse links to begin with so here I am now. Wish I could avoid this altogether.

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does more than 1 wire feed to the glow plugs at this point? ( links behind the passenger battery)?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I edited my previous post, look back. There are 2 conductors (tan or yellow color) fusible links to the GP relay power. Google fusible link wire, then you will understand it's a special kind of wire.

crewchief219

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a 250 amp fuse. I attached the fuse to a starter relay post, and ran a 4 gauge battery cable from the fuse to my controller. Its been working great.

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a 250 amp fuse. I attached the fuse to a starter relay post, and ran a 4 gauge battery cable from the fuse to my controller. Its been working great.

I had not studied this before, So I had no idea how much amperage was involved. I might be better to go back to 2 separate 10ga wires with 14ga fusible links. That is the factory OEM way.

Or the way you have it will work too!

crewchief219

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my fuse from ebay. I don't see the exact one I bought, but the link below is the same style. Like I said, I attached the fuse to starter relay post and then attached the battery cable to it. I got the 4 foot, 4 gauge battery cable from Oreilly's, it was relatively cheap and wound up a perfect fit, didn't have to modify it or attach any connectors, just bolt it all together. I can't find a link for that. It was just something they had on the shelf in the store. Hope this helps.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANL-250A-Car-Audio-Gold-Plated-High-Quality-Inline-Wafer-250-Amp-Fuse-2-Pieces-/171053500209

Here are a bunch of other fuse options..

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/250-amp-fuse

crewchief219

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's definitely not OEM style.. lol.. but it's been mentioned recently in some other recent posts that the factory wires work well when they're new and will eventually overheat as the cables age. They're not really sufficient for the amount of power that the glow plugs draw. Replacing the factory parts or using the same style will work, but eventually you run the risk of smoking the 8 guage cables, which is what happened to me. That's why I went with one 4 gauge.

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am learning a lot here. Glad this website exists!
My trouble began with being mis- informed by a Ford technician. So now I get to keep working till it's fixed.

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had not studied this before, So I had no idea how much amperage was involved. I might be better to go back to 2 separate 10ga wires with 14ga fusible links. That is the factory OEM way.

Or the way you have it will work too!

Did you find a fuse holder for the 250 amp fuse ?

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just picked up 5' of 4ga battery cable. I like the 250 amp breaker on fleabay better than using a fuse.
My stupid question is: does it really take 250 amp for the glow plugs?
Even at 20 amp each it's only 160 amp total.
I just don't wanna catch something on fire.

crewchief219

Full Access Member
Reaction score

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having now read your thread I am gaining a lot more knowledge of what is going on with my truck. The slow blow fuse is a new concept to me. It's a real learning experience. Great to know this since I have an IDI and so does my Dad, and brother too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online