More on the mule

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Ok, zf5 is in, inspection cover is removed...this one (from my T19) isn't going to work, it's just too tweaked. So, if anyone has an inspection cover from a ZF5 they'd be willing to part with, I'd be willing to buy it. Otherwise, transmission is in, have to drill holes for crossmember wings, all else is done.

On to other questions...
I'm going to go ahead and have my retired bodyman neighbor fix the cab floor and rocker panels. I want to put in the urethane cab mounts and do a 2 inch body lift. Cab mounts show they fit from 80-96 pickups. The 2 inch body lift kits I'm looking at are showing a year break, 80-86 and 87-91 years with the price almost double for the 87-91!!! What I wanted to know is...since I only have a the cab to lift (flatbed) and the cab mounts are the same for 80-96, shouldn't the 2 inch lift for the 80-86 work on my cab as well? Just wondering and since I'm only going to use half the kit anyway, thought maybe it would work out. Those of you who have done 2 inch body lifts, what all was involved? I know radiator fan shroud is going to need work, what else?

Thanks,
Scott

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Finally got everything back in it. For anyone thinking of doing this swap, the bolt holes for the crossmember "wings" had to be moved back 1 1/4". I took the crossmember out, drilled them, the put the crossmember back in and bolted it all together. The frame on my truck already had the bottom holes (where the crossmember actually bolts to the frame.

Still feels spongy on the clutch, assume some air still in there.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
That's strange that yours didn't have the extra holes on top. They are there on mine.:dunno

Yeah, would have been nice...wore my old butt out drilling them! I put grade 8 - 1/2 inch bolts in mine, all crossmember bolts. My tranny mount on the T19 was loose as was one side of the crossmember. They all got lock washers and loctite! :)

The truck is smooth, seems to move along quite well. With the gear change (4.10 to 3.73) I've gone from 2800 RPM or so at 60 MPH to under 2000 RPM. I think the starting point was close to 2900 RPM IIRC...anyway, at 60 it's hardly breathing now!

Up next...hydroboost and turbo!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Tony

Members online