More issues

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:confused: Well I made it 2 days without having to work on the truck. I can no longer say it's never left me stranded. There is a bright side though.

This morning I had to rent a coring drill. The only one I can find is on the other side of town. About 30 miles out of my way. But the weather is perfect and it's on my schedule to get this done today. So I drive to the rental place (in this case it's a Sunbelt at a Lowes store) and rent the drill. Guy says "pull your truck up and I'll help you load it." Guess what no start. Firewall solenoid clicks.

First thing I do is try to get a jumpstart even though I feel it's not going to be this simple. It's not batteries. Next I check all my cable connections as they aren't in the greatest shape (on "the list"). Not it either. So I take one end of my jumper cable and touch it to the output of the starter solenoid. Starter spins but no engagement.

Now from what I could see there was only 2 cables on there. Power in and power out. I felt like something was missing. Look from the top of the motor don't see anything else from the top. Kept digging and I found a loose /broken wire stuffed up above the solenoid. But I cannot see or feel anywhere that it should go. So I called Brimmstone and asked him where it goes and he doesn't remember exactly but it's definitely for the solenoid. So I decide the remove the solenoid since I cannot see what it is I'm supposed to be fixing.

It's a good thing I was at a place that sells tools as I didn't have any of mine on hand. I got a 24" long philips head screwdriver, some stubby wrenches (if you gotta buy tools buy the ones you don't have)and removed the solenoid. Now it was clear there was a 3rd post above everything where the wire was supposed to go. Piece of cake. Got a wire stripper/crimper and a box of ring connectors and fixed it all up. Started perfectly on the 1st try. In fact it's been starting noticeably better since. It didn't start badly before but better is better.

I managed to get to the jobsite about 12:30 and had some things to do right away. Remeasured my holes and drilled all 8 of them and still managed to get the drill back by 6:00. I am relieved it wasn't a wasted day but still pissed that it cost me some work time.

O.K. I'm done rambling on now. Sorry it's such a long post but just felt like telling the story I guess.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Bummer that happened man. I do have a solution......PUT YOUR TURBO ON :D. Seriously my truck started giving me fits a week or two before the turbo install. Others on here have had the same thing happen, they owned a nice reliable truck, and boom once they plan on putting on a turbo, the truck starts doing things like you had happen today (my truck the clutch master cylinder went out, and another thing, but I cant remember).

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats what sucks about having an old truck to work out of. I love my old trucks but when they cost more than they make sometimes you got to let them go.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats what sucks about having an old truck to work out of. I love my old trucks but when they cost more than they make sometimes you got to let them go.

Yeah I know this too. If I have to replace this one with something more reliable I will. I just don't really want anything newer. Anything old will be a crap shoot just like I'm in now. I've already fixed and learned so much on this truck I hate to move on. I'll know soon. It won't be sold though. I will merge it into my 78' and make something else with the good parts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726