Moosestang Mark II

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Will the moosestang be part of the rally count down?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the Bronco does weigh a good bit more than the Nightmoose. Between the 4wheel drive, that fiberglass top, power tailgate, extra seat, and more sheetmetal in the back, it's probably an extra 1000 pounds easy. Love the quote Towcat! LOL

Why the unsprung disc? Because everyone insists you need one. I'm not so sure.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i figured that was why. so the moosetang falls under the "top fuel dragster" category eh? haha
problem here at OB is we have a need for lab rats. since Mel is willing to be one, I am watching closely to see the results. I've seen DMF's with non-sprung discs and I've seen SMF with double sprung discs. Mel will be headed into new territory with a SMF and solid hub disc. I've driven BBC's with solid disc and it was a brutal ride. Between a very lopey cam at idle and a binary clutch pedal, it was unstreetable. But at the track coupled with DOT drag slicks, I could pull the front end of a steel-bodied Impala coupe off the ground at launch.:eek::D;Sweet

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm currious what will happen. Somebody needs to find out, and the Moosestang has been a great educational platform for my experiements. Eventually I will pull the 6.9 apart and show everyone what 40,000 miles of heavy WMO usage does to an engine. Or maybe what it doesn't do? We will see.

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
problem here at OB is we have a need for lab rats. since Mel is willing to be one, I am watching closely to see the results. I've seen DMF's with non-sprung discs and I've seen SMF with double sprung discs. Mel will be headed into new territory with a SMF and solid hub disc. I've driven BBC's with solid disc and it was a brutal ride. Between a very lopey cam at idle and a binary clutch pedal, it was unstreetable. But at the track coupled with DOT drag slicks, I could pull the front end of a steel-bodied Impala coupe off the ground at launch.:eek::D;Sweet

LOL. Do I need a secret handshake and a special decoder ring to translate this or am I just too stupid to get initiated into the club? :dunno

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Mel sorry for the offtopic but have you received the donor pump yet and the cheque i sent?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update:

After 2 months of driving I can offer the following report. Current status - As built.

Gear roll over noise with the solid disc is quite a bit more than hoped. I do believe I will be swapping it out for a sprung one later this summer. The problem occurs primarily at any point where there is very little torque in the drive train.

I drove it for the first month having no idea where the timing was at. I then timed it, and found it to be 2 degrees retarded. I also discovered this IP is shot! NO variation in timing whatsoever over the RPM range. So it needs to come out. Ah... the coblers children have no shoes. I'll be running it for a while yet.

With the dismal pump, and tires that leave a lot to be desired, I am getting a consistent 21.6 MPG on #2. Not too shabby. But 24 was the number I had in mind, and I am going to keep working on it until I get there. It's definitely built for speed though... the fastest I dared to go around here is 82, but there is plenty of throttle and RPM's left well beyond that. It does 70 at 1850 RPM.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
tell your co-worker to shove it where the sun doesn't shine. It's not a redneck hell-hole... it's a garden of inspiration!;Sweet

I think I just may have that painted on a sign....and post it here at my place....the latter part actually It's not a redneck hell-hole... it's a garden of inspiration!;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726