Money Pit; an introduction

Lost_Gasser

Reaction score
So, I've been hanging out here in the background for a while, thought I'd finally get a user name and jump into the discussion. I've been a gas guy forever - gone through more cars, engines and combos than you guys care to hear about; but this is my first venture into Ruldoph's engine. I got a little tired of the muscle car scene, so I bought an 86 F-250 from a local guy here about three weeks ago. Last week I popped the top on a Rolling Rock in her honor, christened her "Money Pit," and got to work.

I'm wrapping up a head-swap on it right now - she had a *real bad* burnt valve on number 1. A saint of a man gave me a set of heads and a short block with low milage - so I reckon I kind of fell into that one. God and UPS willing, I'll be back on the road here next week. My next venture is into the transfer case - that one oughtta be interesting.

I'm going back out overseas for a little while here in the near future, but when I get back she's going to get a Hypermax kit, (maybe a set of stacks? I'm still thinking about that - if anyone's got any pics or advice I'm all ears,) a 6" tuff country lift, and some onboard air. (I've got some great gouge and experience on that - if anybody's interested..)

I've learned a lot from you guys so far, thanks for the great forum. There's some great looking trucks floating around here - hopefully someday soon Money Pit will be half as presentable.

-Josh

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Lost_Gasser said:
Last week I popped the top on a Rolling Rock in her honor, christened her "Money Pit," and got to work.

:cheers: Good deal....Welcome to OB.;Sweet
Oh and just a little friendly ribbin... Money Pit......Hehe we'll help ya with that too.

Speakin from experience on that one.:rolleyes:

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My next venture is into the transfer case - that one oughtta be interesting.

Welcome, The transfer case is simple. Most are just simply intimidated with working on them. If you can do a head swap, the transfer case is a cake walk.

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A definite welcome! 6.9's seem to have been very popular here in Washington State. You lucked out on getting with a gear vendors. Sure wish I had one on my PowerSmoke.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
welcome aboard, you should still post some pics, we like ugly trucks to;Sweet

Tynian

Wrench Counter
Reaction score
Welcome, Sounds like you are a soldier, and a good mech.
Looking forward to reading more from you.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Welcome aboard. Sounds like you've got a handle on the mechanicals. Read the tech articles if you haven't already. There's a lot of good preventative maintenance info there as well.

Like Jred said, pictures, we like ugly trucks too.

What branch of service are you in?

Tom

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site! Glad to hear others may be benefiting whom we never know about or meet because they remain anonymous. Maybe you will serve as an example that it always pays to stop in and say hello. A boat is a hole in the water you throw money in. An IDI is a hole in the road you through money in and then drive out of. LOL

Lost_Gasser

Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome guys - you're making my whole endevaor into the diesel world almost too easy..

Welcome, The transfer case is simple. Most are just simply intimidated with working on them. If you can do a head swap, the transfer case is a cake walk.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Tonka - I've never been into one before, but I'm going to give her a shot.. Honestly, I don't even know which transfer case it's got right now. As I understand it it could be either a BW1345 or a NP208 - hard for me to identify with the gear vendors back half on it. Hopefully I can pull a part number off of it somewhere else..

welcome aboard, you should still post some pics, we like ugly trucks to;Sweet

She's ugly - but nothin' a little TLC won't fix.. No rust at all - that's a miracle to a guy that grew up in the snowbelt.. I'll snap a pic or two when I roll her out of the garage again.

Welcome, Sounds like you are a soldier, and a good mech.
Looking forward to reading more from you.

What branch of service are you in?

Tom

Well, I'm a Sailor for the time being, moving over to the Army side of the house here in the near future. I figure if I've been in this long, and never been on a ship I might as well cash in and go for broke.. :D

Welcome to the site! Glad to hear others may be benefiting whom we never know about or meet because they remain anonymous. Maybe you will serve as an example that it always pays to stop in and say hello. A boat is a hole in the water you throw money in. An IDI is a hole in the road you through money in and then drive out of. LOL

Mel, I've learned more about this truck and the 6.9 from your articles than anywhere else. You've already saved me hundreds of man-hours in work. I wish there was this kind of resource for every car that I've owned. I can think of several things would've gone a lot smooter..

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good deal. If your Gear Vendors is the type where half of it is the xfer case gear case, then you have a Borg-Warner unit. Probably a 1345. See if it looks like the one on the Moose Truck.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the vote of confidence Tonka - I've never been into one before, but I'm going to give her a shot.. Honestly, I don't even know which transfer case it's got right now. As I understand it it could be either a BW1345 or a NP208 - hard for me to identify with the gear vendors back half on it. Hopefully I can pull a part number off of it somewhere else..
welcome to the site.
here's a primer on how to ID your transfer case.
Firstly, get yourself a magnet and put it on the case. If it sticks, you have a NP208. those are cast iron brutes. Not commonly found on our fords. If you got one, you're one the lucky few.
Secondly, if the magnet doesn't stick and the case looks like the ribbing on Mel's, its a BW unit.
If you have a removable output shaft housing, its a BW1356
If you don't, its a BW 1345.
transfer case ID made easy;Sweet

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm a Sailor for the time being, moving over to the Army side of the house here in the near future. I figure if I've been in this long, and never been on a ship I might as well cash in and go for broke.. :D

I served in the Navy & retired from the Army.....Most of my Navy Active career was sea duty, kinda sucked going through infantry basic and jump school at Ft Bennng at 36 years old but I made it. Good luck with your decision & keep your head on a swivel.

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can do a head swap, the transfer case is a cake walk.

What T said up there is true. I'd never been in one before, and now I know I could re/re a BW1345 by myself in about 2 hours easy.

Go for it, and welcome from another member with an ugly truck(for now...patched and patched and patched and still runnin...)

zigg :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online