Momma Got A New Pair of High Heels

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
So I recently finished up on a rather extensive project on Carla's truck. Santa was very generous this year and brought her a 4" lift and some new shoes. Hence the reference to high heels.LOL

Anyway, it's a 4" Tough Country lift that took me way too long to get put on. Along with that came some new wheels and 315/75-16E Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs. Really impressed with those tires so far. With the lift and bigger tires, it comes to almost 6" higher altogether.

The long time frame was due to weather, health issues, and this list of "stuff" that I did in addition to installing the lift along the way:

New ball joints all around
New tie rod ends/drag link, etc all around
New outer u-joints (center seemed fine...no play...probably pay for that later)
New brakes
New braided steel brake lines...front and rear
Fabricated new hard lines on rear diff and partials on front at flex line connection
New shocks (part of the lift)
New power steering pump
New pitman arm (part of the lift, but a job unto itself)
New wheels and tires
Frontend alignment complete with new camber bushings both sides

I'm sure there's more I'm missing. One of the reasons why it took so long is I completely clean and detail everyting when I take it apart. Plus I found that I am woefully undertooled when it comes to heavy maintenance. Good thing my neighbor is a heavy mechanic and has everything I don't. I may still be wrenching on some of those 20 year old corroded bolts.:rotflmao I've read many here say they can do ball joints in 3 hours. You are my heros! Not happenin on this truck. One day on each side.:eek: And for those of you that have removed the front leaf spring rear bolt after 200K miles and being in the rust belt...lets just say that was an exhilarating experience with several beers, sledges, punches, sheared off sawzall blades, and a LOT of cuss words.

Now it's all done and drives like a dream. The tech that test drove it after the alignment said that was the best driving old Ford he had ever driven. ;Sweet

The pictures don't really do it justice. It looks really nice. I'll get the photographer (Carla) to take some better pics when it's cleaned up and the weather is nicer.

Now I just gotta fix that damn clutch slave cylinder that failed yesterday... A never ending battle.

Tom

Attachments

• Lift Side View.jpg
    Lift Side View.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 69
  • Lift Front View.jpg
    Lift Front View.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 40
  • Front Diff Lifted.jpg
    Front Diff Lifted.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 33
  • Front Diff Lifted 2.jpg
    Front Diff Lifted 2.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 43
  • Front Diff Driver Side.jpg
    Front Diff Driver Side.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 30
  • Front Diff Passenger Side.jpg
    Front Diff Passenger Side.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 35

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Looks great Tom!;Sweet
Gotta agree, having the tools makes a project life less challenging.

stumpjumper3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks really great! I like your attention to detail, the end results are always much better than a rush job. Great looking truck. Did you fab that front grill guard? I like the lines of it.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks great Tom. I'm sure she is very happy with the results! Gotta love when a project is finished and done right. You two enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Heath

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
nice job, i can agree the right tools can make all the differance in the world. without them i can almost watch my hair turn gray as i work.

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
I also am running the 4" tuff country lift. I love mine and havent had any issues with it so far. Gread looking truck!

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Time to update your signature!

That is a NICE CLEAN truck!! What kind of paint did you use on the suspension beams? I want to paint mine up all nice underneath, but let's face it...in teh rust belt, and the way I get to remote fishing spots...it'll last a month.

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score

That is a NICE CLEAN truck!! What kind of paint did you use on the suspension beams? I want to paint mine up all nice underneath, but let's face it...in teh rust belt, and the way I get to remote fishing spots...it'll last a month.

I dont mean to steal the thread or anything but when i did mine i used tractor implement paint from tractor supply. seems to be holding up very well

You must be registered for see images attach

burtcheca

farmer/cabinetmaker
Reaction score
Beautiful job on a very clean truck. I cannot keep my trucks that clean, as soon as I hit the dirt roads they are all covered with tan mud.
Great looking tires too!
Congrats!
Burt.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Looks great Tom! You better drive it out to Vegas so I can see it in person!

Ryan

Been to Phoenix three times in the last 2 months. Once for surgery at the Mayo Clinic and two more follow-ups. Unfortuantely none of those trips offered me any time to meet you half way. Very quick and uncomfortable.

Storm will be home in a couple weeks so I get to start another turbo install...

:D

Tom

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score

I dont mean to steal the thread or anything but when i did mine i used tractor implement paint from tractor supply. seems to be holding up very well

I just used satin Rustoleum. :rotflmao Works good here in the desert southwest where we have NO moisture to speak of. Definitely not an option in the rust belt. Hell, here you can get away with no coating of any kind and just wash it down every so often and it will stay clean. I would have used Eastwood's "chasis black", but I didn't have any on hand. I use that a lot. It has hardener in it which is pretty effective. Anyway it's probably only temporary. The plan is in the next couple years to just lift the cab and bed off and clean the frame and paint it with something more permanent. By then all the "sub-assemblies" should be done LOL. I've replaced or rebuilt about 75-80% of the truck at this point. About all that's left is detailing the frame, replacing cab mount bushings (which it needs), and fuel lines from the tanks to the front. Neither diff has been rebuilt, but they show no signs of needing it, unless I re-gear it. Same with gear cases. 'Course you can always find something you want to make better.;Sweet

Tom