Mixing G code injectors in an emergency

Natehimself36

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've been lurking here a long time. I have a 93 7.3idi turbo. One of my injectors seems to be shot and unfortunately I have the G codes. I can't get into my diesel mechanic / injection guy to have them rebuilt for a while so I was wondering if I could " get by" with grabbing a parts store Injector? When I called around they couldn't tell me the pop pressures or codes. There seems to be a couple stores within an hour or so from me. So.. can I use them? 1? I really need this truck and if It'll make it run ok for now, I'll do it. Thanks a lot guys, have a good labor day!

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've been lurking here a long time. I have a 93 7.3idi turbo. One of my injectors seems to be shot and unfortunately I have the G codes. I can't get into my diesel mechanic / injection guy to have them rebuilt for a while so I was wondering if I could " get by" with grabbing a parts store Injector? When I called around they couldn't tell me the pop pressures or codes. There seems to be a couple stores within an hour or so from me. So.. can I use them? 1? I really need this truck and if It'll make it run ok for now, I'll do it. Thanks a lot guys, have a good labor day!
I’ve got G codes in stock and I can overnight them to you with an install kit.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Parts store injectors are a gamble at best. One "new" injector may fix the problem for a little while, maybe longer, maybe not at all. If it's an emergency, then go ahead and try it. Can it really be much worse than what you have now?

Natehimself36

Reaction score
I’ve got G codes in stock and I can overnight them to you with an install kit.

I sent you a pm..i think. I "started a conversation" what would that cost? Overnighted to Dallas Oregon 97338 . I was kind of trying to not spend a whole lot since my current injectors are under warranty from my rebuilder.

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They will work my turbo truck had N/A ones in when I bought it used, put the Gs in later when changed out the engine.Put a factory turbo engine back in. Better if use the right ones IMO Lot of guys say it does not matter. Wes Is a good guy to buy from too. Not part store price ,but done right.

Natehimself36

Reaction score
Parts store injectors are a gamble at best. One "new" injector may fix the problem for a little while, maybe longer, maybe not at all. If it's an emergency, then go ahead and try it. Can it really be much worse than what you have now?

I don't think It can really be that much worse. It's pretty bad right now and I use this truck for my business so I can't have it sounding like it does lol. It's causing a hell of a miss.

Natehimself36

Reaction score
They will work my turbo truck had N/A ones in when I bought it used, put the Gs in later when changed out the engine.Put a factory turbo engine back in. Better if use the right ones IMO Lot of guys say it does not matter. Wes Is a good guy to buy from too. Not part store price ,but done right.

I'm worried about mixing one parts store brand with 7 G's . I want to be cheap and just swap out the bad one.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It's causing a hell of a miss.
In that case, go for it. That's what I'd consider to be an emergency. Here's another thing to think about. If you have a bad injector and it's still under warranty, either that's one good warranty or that should tell you something about the guy who rebuilt them. A lot of us on here have had troubles with local rebuilders. I know that I have-once and only once!

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm worried about mixing one parts store brand with 7 G's . I want to be cheap and just swap out the bad one.
I really don't think it will cause any problems. More of a performance thing then anything. I bought a truck a couple years ago that had a bad injector, pulled one out of a dead engine I have and still running it. LOL

Natehimself36

Reaction score
Thank you for the quick replies. I'm going to give it a try tomorrow. I have been looking at getting some new injectors. He said the ones he put in were brand new but I know he rebuilds them for other customers so I wouldn't doubt it if he rebuilt mine.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Price is $465 for a set overnighted plus core charge. If you’re having issues with the new injectors under warranty just get a refund for that set, get a set from me and you won’t have to touch them for at least 100k. I don’t sell individual injectors, I sell them as a pressure matched set which is critical for the engine to run properly. You can put any idi injector in there for the time being but it’s not great on the engine since that injector will be firing at a different crank degree than the rest. If you’ve ever seen the inside of a part store injector or pump you wouldn’t spend a dime on them.

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running mixed code injectors. Bought a set off a member that were said to be uhaul eBay injectors. One of them was not like the others. I've been meaning to order a set from a site sponsor....

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I bought my truck in 12 I also bought 1 brand new Borg Warner injector from orileys. My plan was to use it if any of mine ever act up far away from home. I figured it would be better than nothing. It's still in my toolbox.

Kinda like carrying spare parts. You never need them but if you forget them then you break down.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance