miss in engine

Dalvaras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
earlier this week My engine developed a miss.... so I decided to replace injectors and pump as Mel said my pump was on its last leg at last years rally.
Well it still seems to have a miss I cannot associate to any particular injector, when the lines are lossend they all change the way the engine idles.
There is no air in fuel return lines as have installed clear line
between cylinder1 and filter and 2 and IP.
also I did a compression test and all cylinders are between 460 - 480 psi on 5 compression strokes

edited... I played with the timing to get it close enough to get to a shop for timing

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't remember if you have a turbo or not, but I would disconnect the Y pipe or up pipes so you can listen to the exhaust manifolds at idle. At least that would tell you maybe which bank the problem is in. I suspect a valve problem.

Dalvaras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well to update this problem.... I had it timed this weekend and it was still running rough. So I started the whole
troubleshooting process again. I removed the injectors and had them tested again one was stuck and the injection shop said that it looked like it did not seal properly and forced the compression back into the injector and jammed the needle inside... sounds kinda strange to me... but hey what do I know. :confused: so I got a replacement for that one and will try again tomorrow as the storms have moved in here this afternoon

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dalvaras said:
well to update this problem.... I had it timed this weekend and it was still running rough. So I started the whole
troubleshooting process again. I removed the injectors and had them tested again one was stuck and the injection shop said that it looked like it did not seal properly and forced the compression back into the injector and jammed the needle inside... sounds kinda strange to me... but hey what do I know. :confused: so I got a replacement for that one and will try again tomorrow as the storms have moved in here this afternoon
I've seen this happen on two IH IDI's over the years of wrenching. Rare, but don't feel alone. Sometimes the pop-off spring in the injector hangs and all heck breaks loose. Also, when a cylinder hydro's, the pressure has to go somewhere. I doubt you are the latter of the two scenarios.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Once while I was on the road in Missouri,my engine started knocking so bad I shut it down for fear of ruining it.I figured a valve broke or a rod bearing was going south, or something serious.Being as I was totally exhausted and short on tools ,I had it towed to a shop,the owner looked at it -he wanted to run a compression check,then his father came out held all the injictor lines one at a time then said "replace that injector". Un believable it ran like a champ.He said the injector had hung up. The noise was scary like the whole engine was in grave danger. Mr Bill

Dalvaras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well it was the injector. It runs great now I just have to watch the pyro a little closer with a good pump and injectors. ;Sweet :thumbsup: need to hook up the ram air again took it apart to R&R pump and injectors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morerunner

Members online