Mercedes Diesel Not Clean Enough

Roland_Jenkins

Señor Member
Reaction score
From a blog on wired dot com

The soon-to-be-released 2007 Mercedes-Benz E 320 Bluetec is billed as the cleanest diesel ever, but it produces too many emissions to be sold in five states.

The sedan is the first of 10 models expected to use the Bluetec common-rail direct injection engine, and the vehicles include an aftertreatment process to reduce nitrogen oxide emissions. However, that still was not enough to meet the regulations of California, New York, Maine, Massachusetts and Vermont, according to Edmunds.

The V-6 engine is powerful (400 lbs. of torque and 0-60 in 6.6 seconds) and very fuel-efficient for its class, getting an estimated 26/37 miles per gallon or going an 700 miles (wowza) on a full tank. By comparison, the Honda Accord hybrid is rated at 25/34 mpg.

The Bluetec engine was anticipated to usher in the new era of clean diesels that offer hybrid-like economy and cleanliness through the new ULSD (Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel) fuel, but not being able to be sold nationwide is a substantial setback for Mercedes and the category. If all 10 models expected from DaimlerChrysler that use the engines, including an SUV and a Jeep Grand Cherokee, can't be sold in California et al, it will take a long time for diesels to impact the U.S. passenger vehicle market.

Roland_Jenkins

Señor Member
Reaction score
So my question is, if the cleanest diesel ever isn't clean enough for five states, what will the impact be on the other diesel manufacturers?

Meta6981

Reaction score
I would hve to disagree with that article.My 81' burns cleaner with biodiesel with the exception of one chemical than a gas engine . And that technology thats comeing out today pair it with biodiesel and it shall decimate.

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
Fact is some states do not want diesels period and there way of keeping them out is making the regs unattainable.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RKOCH said:
Fact is some states do not want diesels period and there way of keeping them out is making the regs unattainable.
I think it's actually just one state. The problem is, 4 other states think that the California Air Resource Board is the end-all know-all of environmental issues, so they blindly follow along the CARB's decrees.

I was hoping that Ah-nold was going to disband the CARB, but no luck...yet... *sigh*

wildbill_hickup

Reaction score
I may have this wrong but somewhere I read or heard that the tests won't allow BD. Here in Vermont VW dealers won't even sell diesel versions of their cars due to the fact that they won't 'pass' BD is not an issue, because one could, if one wanted to use pump diesel in ones car instead of BD and therefore be in violation. :puke: That's how it was explained to me by the nose in the air salesman at VW( I believe it's the same for MB, Chrysler, Jeep and the like). Like I'd use pump diesel that's $2 something instead of the BD I produce for $.80. But I can see the point I guess. Fortunately NH is just 20 miles from me and if I ever had the money to buy a 07 Jetta, etc I could do it there. However the salesman there did bring up the question ' Would Vermont even register the vehical after purchase?' -cuss Vermont guess I'll just stick with the ol' timers that don't need to be tested.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
ok,fine then,Sell it to the other 46 states and tell those other states screw you.If the people are dumb enough to elect people stupid enough to enact laws like then then oh well.Just don't sell to them.That goes for Gassers and Diesels.Sooner or later the rich will get tired of not being able to buy new expensive cars and something will have to change.

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
wildbill_hickup said:
Would Vermont even register the vehical after purchase?

The way it works out here in California is, you can't buy a NEW diesel car in Calif or register a new one either. You can however drive a new car from out of state with >7,500 miles and re-register it here. I know many who have done that.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can however drive a new car from out of state with >7,500 miles and re-register it here. I know many who have done that.
Correct me if 'm wrong, but I think you can bring a car from out of state with less than 7500 miles into CA, but you have to pay a rather high import fee or some garbage like that.

I dunno...I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The CARB needs to be disbanded. -cuss

(BTW, in response to the comment about elected officials, the CARB's comprised of appointed people who the voters have no say over. I don't know how the people can be removed, but I don't think there's a very high turnover rate i.e. the CARB doesn't change with newly elected governors or anything on those lines)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wheelsrollin