May have found a turbo for my remote mount....

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well the turbo is under the truck, Oil is all plummed and seems too be working well, I can tell you there is no chance of not using a lift pump post turbo, the oil basically just runs out (no pressure) I think that the turbo is too small though. It is the loudest turbo whistle I have ever heard:D .....It sounds like the turbo is going to fly apart:dunno . Dont have any intake piping yet cause I think I am going to throw the 5.9 cummins turbo On there instead. But the good thing is that all the lines are there the exaust into the turbo is done (all the hard stuff) and I have a really good Idea of how to route the air to the intake. I used a standard fuel pump that pushes about 8-9 psi, I think I am going to put a pressure switch post pump so if it ever does stop working it will trigger a dummy light to let me know. As far as the oiling goes I got all the lines I needed at tractor supply for under 30 bucks;Sweet .......a few elbows and couplers a couple check valves and the main oil feed is a 48"x1/4" hydrolic hose (can withstand 5000psi so i think is suits my application nicely. );Really Return line is stainless steel line and transmission oil cooler hose. Hopefully it all works out. I will try and get some pics up in the next couple days.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much boost does it make, what are your EGTs like? I think the holset turbo will work just fine for a man of your fabricating skills:thumbsup: but just be careful remember the Cummins is a DI and can take a lot more boost. 25PSI is nothing for them but will lift the heads off a stock IDI. Are the holsets wastegated? Set it at 12-13 psi or so and you should be just fine.

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cummins turbo is non-gated, if it puts out too much I will just put an external wastegate on it. I havent seen any #'s yet, I havent got the intake plummed yet. Ill keep all updated.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
The TD05 is a Mitsubishi Turbo. Very close to the same thing Banks uses.

Look for the Mitsu Diamond Star on it.

payableondeath6

Impressively Ugly
Reaction score
Couple things personally I'd be interested in knowing.

1) Pictures and description of how the turbo is mounted up. Did you build a bracket? Where's it mounted? Etc, etc.

2) Where did you get your oil feed and where are you returning it? Pictures and description please.

3) Where exactly are you routing the intake piping up in the engine bay? Once again, pictures and description please (mines pretty cramped with the AC, so thought I might have to lose it)

That's all I can think of now. I'd run it sparingly without the cold side stuff on, I heard it wasn't very good for the turbo to just be open air on the discharge...but can't think why really.

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry:dunno , been kind of busy this week, I have done a little here and there but still dont have it done, as soon as I find my cord to hook my camera to the computer I will post some pics.

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I know, I am working on it, I just have to go get one, for the life of me I cannot remember what I did with it. This week has just been soooooo busy I havent had time to do anything. The turbo is still in the same phase it was a week ago. Just havent had time to do a dang thing lately.........No worries though I will get pics posted soon. I need to figure out some type of braket to mount the turbo, right now it is just inline with the exaust which seems to be pretty solid but I think I am going to build a braket to mount to the transmission side of the trans mount, that way it can move with the twist and torque of the engine and exaust. I did come to find out that the salvage yard where I got my turbo gave me the wrong one......Way too small:backoff , so they are getting me the one I paid for in the first place, So I am kind of waiting for that to get here to finish, just to make sure that I dont run into any clearance issues. I have ordereds some 2.5" mandrel bent exaust peices from summit for the intake. I am going to have the turbo firing out the drivers side and then run it up along the outside of the framerail into the engine compartment. I need to figure out where to get the gasket from the exaust into the turbo, Probably will have to go to the chrysler dealer to get that, since its a plymouth turbo, or is on one of thier cars. Sorry I havent gotten any pics up yet. I will see what I can do here in the next day or so. Thanks for being patient.......I wouldnt be:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online