Maximum Oil Temperature?

John Haggerty

Birth Certificate
Reaction score
So this past weekend I trailered the boat home (from Canada) thru the hills of NY and PA on I-81. Maintaining 70+ mph and about 2,750+ rpm the truck ran excellent! Often at 950+ egt and 9+ psi (intercooler still on the floor of the barn)!

Banks says not to exceed 240 deg oil temperature. I have a Banks gage set that measures the oil temperature at the oil drain plug. (This is a replacement thermocouple and still same kind of numbers.) I often see oil tempertures of 265 deg. 240 deg seems low for a maximum when I easily see 265 deg.

Thoughts? Thanks!

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Your talking about tranny temp right? If so yes, 240 is a good max number, 265 degrees is to high. Your tranny wont last long if its going to be running that high. Do you have any aftermarket tranny coolers? If not, if I were you I would plan on buying 1 or 2 of them to get that tranny temp back down. I think I heard somewhere that 200-220 degrees is where you want to be at.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Wait a second, your sig says your truck has a ZF5 tranny, then more than likely your not talking about tranny temp, but engine oil temp, right? If its engine oil temp your talking about, then sorry I really cant help you there.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine oil temp on my truck tends to run a little over water temp, and the harder it works the wider the gap becomes. I would agree that 240 is about the most I like to see it go.

2manydsls

Reaction score
You might want to switch to a synthetic oil if you haven't already. Might run a little cooler and can handle the heat better.
Ross

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online