Manual Trans Swap-How Hard-Cost?

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take the wiring harnesses that work the reverse lights as well. I did the swap on my 94, got a used 4x4 ZF plus flywheel, driveshafts, floor insert, shifter, pedals, clutch stuff all for $400. I had to find a later model clutch pedal box as the one from the 89 is the cast aluminum type and won't fit in a 94. My truck is an extended cab and the truck I got the trans from was a regular one piece driveshaft so I lengthened mine in the section between the tailshaft and center bearing by 5.5" using a piece of the single piece drivshaft. The front shaft from the 5 speed truck should bolt right up. I also put in a new clutch, pressure plate, thowout bearing and pilot bearing when I did it. Did it all in my backyard by myself in a few days and I'm 19 so it's not too bad of a job. You may have to fab up new linkage to connect the 4X4 selector to the T case, I had to.

-Rob

ClassicIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice and I am also getting every thing for $400 so I'm feeling pretty good about the deal. I plan on taking anything that is connected to the tranny and all linkage I am also getting the t-case and both drive shafts so I should have everything I need (I hope).

Ceejmo

Smoke a Ricer today
Reaction score
I converted my wife's '94 from E4OD POS to a ZF5.
You'll need to find out which wires on the current tranny are for the neutral safety switch and tie them together. You'll also need to find the wires that control the backup lights and connect them to the backup light switch on the manual.
You may need to take the clutch pedal position sensor from the donor. On my '94 there was a grey plug under the dashboard that had a jumper plug in it. When I converted to the stamdard the clutch pedal position sensor plugged right into this plug. The safety switch works, the clutch will deactivate the cruise control and everything looks like it came from the factory that way except the opening in the instrument cluster where I removed the "PND21" thingy. A little black tape will fix that. Your donor truck may have a snap in insert for that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online

No members online now.