man i love my idi....need 24v advice

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys I got to tell you I found one more reason the idi is on the top of my list. I was working on a IP problem this weekend on a 24v and fixed part of it but not all of it. 02 dodge with a 24v sporting a vp44 bosch pump. Was running bad and wound have a dead peddle after it got warm. Replaced the pump and fixed the running bad but still have a dead peddle. Is the ecm going into a limp in mode? I hear this is a common problem. Any advise???

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
reprogram the tps...

I think don't quote me on it but it's turn key on (do not start) press pedal to floor slowly then release slowly - start truck.

The procedure is listed in the dodge section - I think Kevin posted it a few times (whitmore).

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
here is the procedure for resetting the apps (tps)

1. Set parking brake
2. Disconnect negative battery cables on both batteries
3. Turn ignition key to run(to drain any remaining capacitors)
4. Let truck sit for 30 minutes( this is the recommended minimum ) But I will tell ya we don't wait this long when doing my buddies truck - we only wait like a 2 mins and it works. But you have been told the proper way...
5. Return ignition to OFF position
6. Reconnect both batteries and secure, not a timed event
7. Turn key to run position(not start) and depress accelerator pedal slowly all the way to the floor
8. Allow pedal to return to top position slowly
9. Turn ignition switch OFF
10.Release parking brake

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Proceedure for reprograming your throttle pedal in an IDI....

1) Turn key on.
2) Wait for wait to start light to go out.
3) Start the truck.

All done. :D

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Did he leave the cover sheet off the TPS report again?

:rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao

That is seriously EXACTLY how things are in my office...

If you ever watch the movie "Extract" (also by Mike Judge) my shop is a mixture of both those movies...

Nice catch on the TPS reports, NapaBavarian! ;Sweet

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Proceedure for reprograming your throttle pedal in an IDI....

1) Turn key on.
2) Wait for wait to start light to go out.
3) Start the truck.

All done. :D

:rotflmao

And you don't have to worry about some little 10 cent metal bar, or a cheap floormat being the difference between a functioning pedal and utter chaos!

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2009/aug/31/bn31chp-lexus-crash/

Throttle by wire systems have always worried me. My explorer has a little light in the dash that looks like an open ended wrench, the manual says that if that light ever comes on, there's a problem with the TPS and you should "Immediately apply the parking brake, place the transmission selector in PARK, shut the engine off, and call the dealer. Vehicle MUST be towed (not driven) to the dealership for repairs" :rolleyes:

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score

I listened to the 911 tape of that one, it was OPERATOR ERROR! It was not Toyota's fault, the 911 operator tried to tell the caller to put the transmission in neutral, turn the ignition off, or otherwise disable the car and the caller just kept talking over the 911 operator telling where they were and then "OH, OH, UH OH, OH GOD" when the line went dead...

A friend teaches motorcycle safety programs and says the worst students are cops, they already know it all...

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
I listened to the 911 tape of that one, it was OPERATOR ERROR! It was not Toyota's fault, the 911 operator tried to tell the caller to put the transmission in neutral, turn the ignition off, or otherwise disable the car and the caller just kept talking over the 911 operator telling where they were and then "OH, OH, UH OH, OH GOD" when the line went dead...

A friend teaches motorcycle safety programs and says the worst students are cops, they already know it all...

When I build control panels here, I have to design them for the operator with the least problem solving aptitude, I have to make it as fool proof as possible. Every panel I build has green start buttons and red stop buttons. If one day I decide to mix it up and put a yellow, or black stop button, that operator will have no clue whatsoever how to stop the machine. Some years ago, Lexus started building cars with an "Engine ON/OFF" button, rather than a traditional key. You take someone who has known their whole life to turn a key to start and stop a car and put a button in front of them, their reaction will be different. Our response to a critical failue is dependent on situational training. Our situational training has been (since I learned to drive when I was 15) to turn the key.... not push a button.

I personally owned a Toyota vehicle for 3 years that SHOULD have been recalled due to floormat problems. I had a Yaris (that has not been recalled yet) that had a really, REALLY cheesy mounting system for the floor mat. Sometimes the floormat would come loose and slip-slide up without really noticing it. Once it moved about an inch forward, it would catch at least 1 in 10 times on the accelerator pedal. I wrote the NHTSA a complaint about this... I had the pedal stick on me once pulling out on hwy. 9 in Ben Lomond, I panicked and couldn't think of what to do, finally I managed to throw the shifter into neutral and got off the road, nearly took out a bicyclist in the process. Toyota SHOULD have done a better job securing the floormats, and building accelerator pedals. Cars this new should not be having major safety failures like this, in my opinion...

Sorry for the rant.

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
I will fully agree that they need to fix the problem, however operators also need to be in control of their vehicle, a simple life saving solution was offered to him and he refused it!

If the operator gets flustered and pushes the green button to stop your machine it doesn't make it your fault, machines malfunction, they always will, the expectation that newer "safer" cars will save us is providing us with careless drivers expecting the car to save them, I've had "unintended acceleration" from a sticky throttle cable, I was able to pull it up with my toe, but I could have used neutral or ignition off, and I never would have expected the car company to be responsible if I had done nothing and had an accident.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Isn't the Toyota throttle a wireless system? Any EMI could possibly effect it?

The one in my Yaris was a wired system, it had a small 4-wire plug on the top of it.

But EMI could still mess with wired systems, but i think if you have enough EMI close by to mess up the TPS system, you've got other problems... ;Really

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
the expectation that newer "safer" cars will save us is providing us with careless drivers expecting the car to save them

Truer words have never been spoken!

Funny how this thread turned into a Toyota rant...

The equipment I build is regulated mostly by the NEC and NFPA, they are the ones who set the standards on the color of buttons, believe it or not.

We had a worker here loose an arm years ago and sucessfully sued the company because the emergency stop pushbutton did not stop the machine in time, was not the right color, and that unless the emergency stop button can stop the machine completely before any injury can occur, there has to be other safeguards in place... Idiots are EVERYWHERE!!! :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online