Made a good run.....

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
Just drove me and all my belongings to kentucky today for good. I weighed in at 14020 lbs on the scales. The truck drove like a champ, and we got an average of 12 mpg even through the hills of tenneessee, I was pretty happy with that, seeings how the truck is lifted with 35's and 22 ft gooseneck stock trailer..... :thumbsup:

Now..... a more irritating issue I have..... this truck has popped out of reverse since the day I got it.... it seems to be getting a little worse, and a lot worse when reverse with a load on, obviously. Dropping into 2nd is a little sticky as well, no grinding, but I'm thinkin' synchros.... does anyone have kind of a time frame on this sort of stuff? Would changing out the fluid possibly help this situation? Happens more/worse when tranny is hot.

So other than that truck is AWESOME, I couldn't be happier!!! :D:D

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
I'm glad you made it safely out of the "Black Hole" ;Sweet Guess I'm gonna have to do something about my mileage!! Only averaging 11MPG now and that's EMPTY!! :eek:

You are going to have to update your location now...

Be safe!
Gary

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
hate to tell ya but my old boss's ZF lost reverse altogether which for a dump truck made it virtually unusable. it would pop out when you let out the clutch, you could not even hold it in gear.

he ended up getting the trans rebuilt.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where in Kentucky ?? oh, I see, Berea; been through there many times.

Back in the day when they were relatively new, and in new low-mileage trucks, we had issues with the ZFs when pulling real life loads of cattle.

Honestly, I don't think a fluid change is gonna band-aid whatever is going on in yours.

It may slow it's death.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you made it safely, good luck in your new life. Now as far as the ZF, that problem is one of the main reasons I didn't look too hard for one for the manual swap, it seems things wear out in them a bit faster than the old BW boxes and they are supposedly harder to rebuild, but as has been said try the cheap and easy fixes first.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sam-
don't let them scare you too bad on the ZF's. a well rebuilt one will go a long time as long as YOU ARE THE DRIVER. And I somehow doubt you loan out your truck much. Yours have seen better days, you can get away with up to 50wt on a dying ZF. Don't ask me how I know this:eek:
My '89 F450 carrier carried a 16-19k gross loads daily and a few times up to 21k gross. I was at 10k empty. I went through 3 ZF's over the years and parked the rig with 890k on the odo. Put in thicker oil in the meantime and run it. It'll handle just fine. Just save up for a rebuild in the meantime;Sweet

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
Okay Yes..... I have pics I will load them up a little later today, I need to get to doing some stuff this morning. So to recap on the tranny.... 50wt synthetic? or..... I just dont want to go getting the wrong thing here... I will try this first and see if it helps it a little, it's far from dead (I think) 2nd is sticky and the reverse was just getting worse with the trailer on it. And lastly, what abouts does a rebuild typically run? And HECK NO, no one drives my truck, well... gary did but that's it! He was under close supervision, hahahaha..... anyways, much appreciated ya'll!!!

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sam, Welcome to the Bluegrass State! If you ever come over to the Western side, Me and the wifey will take ya out for some great BBQ. You like mutton?:D

Heath

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sam-
go 30wt first.
as things slowly get worse, move up to 50wt then.
just for reference, atf is10wt.
just use reg dino oil in the meantime to see how it does.

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
Sam, Welcome to the Bluegrass State! If you ever come over to the Western side, Me and the wifey will take ya out for some great BBQ. You like mutton?:D

Heath

Hey I appreciate it, I'm sure I'll be out that way sometime here sooner or later! Now I know what mutton is, but haven't had it, but I'll try just about anything, especially if its BBQ! lol.....

Okay so tomorrow I'm gunna go and check into the tranny deal, dunno if I will attempt this here myself..... if I make a mess in the driveway I will get chewed out for weeks... LOL

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
Just think, you could have been making that run in a chevy with 350 SBC :rotflmao

MUAHAHAHAH, you're hilarious........ :***::Whatever: Maybe if I was.......:drunk: lol -Lame

Anyways... as promised here are some pics from the trip (don't laugh too hard at the trailer) Oh and the one pic has entirely NOTHING to do with the trip, it was just my new sticker for the back of the truck! :love:

Attachments

• Moving (6).jpg
    Moving (6).jpg
    390.2 KB · Views: 54
  • KentuckyBound 016.jpg
    KentuckyBound 016.jpg
    386.9 KB · Views: 29
  • KentuckyBound 011.jpg
    KentuckyBound 011.jpg
    405.3 KB · Views: 37
  • ME 013.jpg
    ME 013.jpg
    369.7 KB · Views: 60

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
There was an updated kit to fix the reverse problem a few years ago. You still have to pull the tranny all the way apart to fix it though. Sans that, if reverse goes out, you will have more problems to worry about.

Chris

P.S. Y'all got nuthin on KC for BBQ.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online