Lower alternator bolt fell out while driving

blue67chero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody know what size bolt and thread pitch that is so I can buy one at the hardware store to get me home?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford usually used 7/16" regular coarse thread bolts for lower alternator pivots. Length will be about 5-1/2" according to what I just measured on my truck. Grab a few washers just in case. If no 5-1/2" long bolt is available, go with 6" and either trim it or shim it.

blue67chero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep thanks 7/16"x6" 14-20 threads almost hits the valve cover but I can grind it if need be thanks for the info! Not sure if I should take it out and use some locktite on it?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No need for loctite there, if you use any you will hate yourself when it's time to change a belt. If you wanna fell better about it use a springy lock-washer right under the bolt's head, that will also get the threaded end away from the valve cover. From the factory there are neither loctite nor lock-washers tho, just a plain bolt that gets tightened pretty good. I bet yours was left loose during a belt change then just vibrated itself out, I've also forgotten to tighten mine at least once...

blue67chero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I had to replace the alternator not too long ago... guess I didnt tighten it back up when I was finished...