Low Oil Pressure

DieselChemist

Reaction score
This just started developing last week. Whenever I seem to turn the truck, even slightly ( like a curve in a road) the oil pressure changes alot it will go from N to where the line is on the low end of the gauge. No change in rpm or speed. And I'm talking just a slight curve will do this. I also noticed the oil pressure on the gauge at idle will change if I am slightly nose up or down. I am only 1 quart low on oil. What concerns me is going around a curve today the oil pressure went so low it kicked the engine light on. I know the Ford gauges are bad but is this the downfall of a oil pump or is it just the gauge. The truck has no oil leaks.
Thanks
Bill

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Could be anything like a bad ground, You may not have any real oil pressure issue. Better buy a good gauge with #'s.

6xCrew

Newb
Reaction score
Do these engines have the kind of pickup tube that can fall off? Maybe the screen in the bottom of the pan came off so now with the slightest turn is just enough?

Calvin

DieselChemist

Reaction score
When I checked it, the oil was 1 qt low, if the gauges are just idiot lights then I have a problem because it went on.

poolguy

Slippery when wet
Reaction score
Listen to these guys!!!!!!!!!!
I had a similar problem, almost concinced myself of the worst! Then I went, got an oil pressure guage from Advance auto, pressure is 25 lbs hot at idle, 45lbs above 1200 rpm! That is really great oil pressure, but the guage had me ready to trade. Mine actually went down as the rpms went up!
The factory guage probobly means nothing, go get a real one. Doesn't have to be an expensive one. Good luck & let us know what you find out.

Chuck

poolguy

Slippery when wet
Reaction score
The one that came with the guage (some kind of plastic) for now. I'm going to switch over to one with a sending unit and mount it over the rear view mirror with the engine temp guage. I dont want oil up there in case of a line failure in the cab. I'm putting the pyro, trans temp, and boost on the w/s post pod.
Anyway, again, to answer your question, I,m running the plastic line that came with the guage for now, and probobly would continue to if I were going to mount it under the dash.

Chuck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZTSpridgen

Members online