Loss of power

dawgsfan08

Reaction score
My 89 idi is seeming to lose power once warm. It is a 5spd and runs really well. Just loses power after it warms up

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you running original injectors & IP? Sometimes you can tell by looking to see if they have gray paint on them.
This is my guess. The reason why I say this is because when engine is cold, fuel is slightly thicker & may fill in the gaps of an IP that has increased tolerances. When engine warms up, fuel becomes much warmer & metal expands. A worn IP will show its age on a hot day.
These injection systems typically last about 100-125k miles before they need replacement.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Posting number 2 explains mostly whats happening to your wngine. One more item can cause your issues too. Thats timing. When your engine is cold the fast idle and electronic advance is working. they are both supplied power from the same coolant sender that is behind the thermostat housing. At around 120 degrees coolant the sender opens and shuts down the power to these items. Depending on the fuel system miles I might say the same and it needs to be replaced if the mileage on these parts is around 125,000 miles.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online