looking for a project, diesel swap in an SUV. looking for ideas

joshofalltrade

Reaction score
hey guys, kinda new here, but i've been around FTE for a long time.

anyway, i finally got the wife on board with the idea of picking up a nice looking SUV for cheap and doing a diesel swap on it. obviously thats not a very clear picture of what i'll be doing, and thats why i'm out looking for ideas. for the body, a 4-runner is an option, maybe an exploder, maybe something else. i want something 4wd but nice enough that my wife can drive it. also, the interior has to be laid out such that a 6'2" man can see out the front of it without the rearview mirror causing a huge frontal blind spot - thats the big problem i have with many cars.
for the engine, i'm open to ideas, all i've thought of so far is a cummins 4bt, or a vw or mercedes diesel found in one of their cars.
the overall goals for this vehicle will be a wife-friendly car around town with the ability to burn WMO when i have it, 4x4 is desired for handling light to moderate snow (seattle), and somewhat frequent trips of a few hours drive time at once.

so i'm open to ideas of what to look for and what to run from

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
A member here has a 4bt in a Tahoe, I believe.
Tahoe and suburban are my favorite older SUV. The diesel excursion is my favorite newer one.
People have done diesel broncos also.
Though rare, GM produced some of the Tahoes with the 6.5 diesel.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always thought that a late-model Ford Expedition with a 4BT would be a great daily driver for someone who needs to haul people around. I don't know if it's been done, but would be fun to see ;Sweet

89burb

Reaction score
I did an old Suburban with the 6bt cummins. It makes for an awesome SUV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
7.3 normally aspirated in an OBS Bronco is the simplest, easiest and coolest swap in my not so humble opinion :)

92chevyidi

Reaction score
I dont know how easy the swap would be but how about a 4bt in a first gen dodge durango, Im 6'2 and mine is very comfortable

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those durangos haven't been built much yet, have a big engine bay, and overall are pretty nice trucks. Plus there are still tons around to get parts from. That'd be a cool build.

My brother has one. Maybe when it dies, I'll have to keep it. (Honestly I love the dodge 318 his has, one of their good motors, but it loves gas so...)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk