Lookin at a Dodge...

turbo69

Innocent Bystander
Reaction score
01 Quad Cab, Auto, 4x4 , auto, 24V, 104k miles.

Are there any known issues that I should know about?

I am thinking about buying this truck, but I want to know of any issues there may be with this particular combo.

I am currently driving a 01 QC 4x2 auto, 97 k miles with no issues, but it's a loaner, and I need to get it back to him.

Any advice would be appreciated.

DBogo

Reaction score
look at the number on the block if you got a big ol 53 on it then it is prone to premature cracking and some of the early 54 blocks have a thinner water jacket casting (6mm), while the newer ones have a 12mm casting there under load these brazilian cast blocks are known to crack and look like this
You must be registered for see images

look for this on the drivers side above the oil pan the numbers are about one inch tall

close up of the last one

bentwings

Reaction score
The 53 block. some do some don't. get gages especially a fuel press gage and a new lift pump and you are good to go.

the funny thing is that the Brazillian blocks Ford uses occasionally are the best for them. go figure. Probably came from the same foundary.

Last edited:

TPCDrafting

Structural Steel
Reaction score
Piers posted some pics on the TDR recently of what he calls good and bad 53's. The differences are visible on the outside.

DBogo

Reaction score
TPCDrafting said:
Piers posted some pics on the TDR recently of what he calls good and bad 53's. The differences are visible on the outside.
would you happen to have a link to that

bigbrowngoat

COWBOYED UP
Reaction score
I drive almost 600 miles a weak and have had no trouble from the power train
or drive line just keep a check on the lift pump & service it on time and it should make you a good truck for a long time

2500cummins

Reaction score
I think the steering system and lift pump would be the most common source of trouble on that year truck. Check the frame end joint on the track bar and the steering box for play. Also the auto trans could be near the end of its usefull life if its over 100,000 miles.

What years have the 53 blocks?
I thought they were gone by '01?

DBogo

Reaction score
98-01 on the 53 blocks and some of the early 54 blocks had problems too and the VP44 lift pump you can go through them liek you change underware

turbo69

Innocent Bystander
Reaction score
Drivers side above the oil pan...

I'd like to see the info on TDR before I go and throw out a 53. As far as the lift pump is concerned, what kind of cost is associated with replacement?

And 100k on a tranny? That's all?!?! What kind of rebuild costs would I be lookin at, and give me a list of common symptoms to look for.

Any issues with the coil sprung front Dana 60 (?) or t-cases on these trucks?

I have already driven the truck, and have the bank working on the $$$$$.$$ for it. It felt as strong as the 01 I got on loan, steers great, runs strong, no extra noises, and the tranny shifts smooth, but firm. It does need a set of tires, and I told the salesman that I would prefer to go to either 285's or 305's as the 315's rub the rear outside of the front fender well in a tight corner. It's got American Eagle 16x10's with a big offset to the outside. I'd like to go back to the stock Laramie alloy's, though, so they may be up for trade as soon as she gets home.

Thanks so far guys, keep it comin'...

J.Keith

Reaction score
If your LP dies don't mess around, just put on a Air Dog or FASS system and forget it.

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck with your 01, my buddy has one and loves it, he only has 50K on his, well, we have been deployed to Iraq/Afghanistan 4 times since he bought the truck new in Nov of 2000, but he loves it. The only thing he has done is add a lift and 315's and a 4" exhaust. Truck drives great, it is not a powerhouse stock, with the auto, but pulls his Jeep and trailer pretty good. He also has 4.10's so the 315's helped out in the fuel mileage, but man, he wished he had gotten the 3.55's. Just something to look at. Scotty

TPCDrafting

Structural Steel
Reaction score
Sorry, was gone at a dyno day all yesterday.
HERE is the thread that I was talking about. Piers didn't post the pics, but he had someone else put them up. Good thread about what to look for. I need to wash my engine off to get a good look, but I'm pretty sure I've got a less than desireable block. I'm looking into ways to fix that.

TPCDrafting

Structural Steel
Reaction score
Justin, Welcome aboard! I was glad you could make it down on Sat. It was fun, but I was worn out, Richard and I hooked trucks till just after 8:00 pm. cookoo

Hohn

Reaction score
I would have stayed longer (I wanted to see the ATS truck and the higher HP guys), but I promised the wife I'd not spend the whole day there.

Besides, my girl turned one month old on Sunday, so I wanted to be home and hang out with her.

I love the way my truck sounds now. It's got some cojones to it. I should have run it to 1500 degrees earlier.

jlh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online