Lookin at a 6.5

smokin69

Always smokin'
Reaction score
I found a 92 6.5 by me. It is a regular cab longbox with a 5 speed and has about 60,000 miles on it. Is there anything I should look at when I go to look at it? Are they decently reliable? How is millage? My friend says it has the same DB2 injector pump as my 6.9 and that it should be easy to turn the fuel up. Is it okay to do that on these engines with a pyro and boost gauge to monitor it? Thanks.

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
With a '92 it's all mechanical as far as fuel injection goes. See how it starts both cold and warm. If it fires right off in both situations that will tell you that the glow plug system and injection system are in good shape. That is the biggest problem with them. Listen to the clutch/flywheel. If it rattles the DMF could be going out, if there is slight gear rollover noise then it may have been converted to a SMF.

I think it's just the luck of the draw as far as reliability goes... Being that it only has 60k it has probably been well taken care of so that is a big +.

You may get 18mpg on the hwy, 15-16 in town. If it has 4:10 gears that is. Most of them do.

It is a very similar pump to the 6.9 and you turn it up the same way. With guauges it is ok to turn them up, if you don't the lack of power will probably drive you mad... The stock turbo/wastegate leave alot to be desired so you can't push it too hard. Good luck!

smokin69

Always smokin'
Reaction score
Well my first mod would be one of them screw/spring type wastegate controlers to get more boost. My cousin has a modded 93 gmc dually that has a 6.2 block and it hits 30lbs with a 15k lb trailer on hills. Im just interested in how reliable they are in a closer to stock form and with better drivers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JFMac

Members online