Limp mode e4od

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The high mount brake light, not the cargo lights.
That circuit is monitored by the TECA. Theoretically should disable cruise control as well.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I don't have a high mount brake light. :D

92 didn’t have the high mount brake light, that only came out in 94.
What he said! :D

This is probably the reason that the brake light on the dash is on.
I don't have much doubt of that.

I am going to have that shop fix the brakes, completely.

In the meantime, I am going to be looking at some of this stuff. For one, what happens if I just bypass the brake light switch. Leave the circuit open. (Not take it on the road that way.)

And I am going to look again at the FIPL, plus the switch that is on the passenger side of the trans, and the connector on the driver's side. Etc.

This is going to take me some time. I have a bunch of irons in the fire right now.

Therkhan7_3Turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine when I got it, literally no matter what I did the thing wouldn't shift earlier than 3000-3200rpm? and full line pressure... felt like I was wide open with bad motor mounts and no transmount. I adjusted the FIPL to 1.20V at what I assume is idle ( my tach still reads like **** but the trans works great .... ) and it's literally like a 2019 F250 smooth...

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I'm going to get into my FIPL again, and make sure that the lower of the voltages there is at least 1.2 and see what happens.

Therkhan7_3Turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I'm going to get into my FIPL again, and make sure that the lower of the voltages there is at least 1.2 and see what happens.
Be careful mine would jump 0.4 volts when I tightened it. Also make sure to unplug high idle switch so the plunger doesn't push the lever.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
5. The FIPL (Fuel Injection Pump Lever (throttle position sensor)) on the drivers side of the pump is plugged in? Have you check the voltage from it? Center pin should be smooth from idle to WOT. It has a specific range, but right now I wanna make sure it just works.

6. Have you inspected the electrical connector on the passenger side of the transmission to the solenoid pack? It’s behind a heat shield (yess it needs to be there, the exhaust is very close and can melt an unprotected plug. Make sure there is no transmission fluid in the connector. If so, that can cause this.

I’d say more than likely it’s an electrical problem, since it starts as soon as you move, and that you can get the OD OFF to,work until you move.

The E4OD need a good tach signal (from the tach sensor on the IP gear cover), a good speed signal (from the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) on a brick, a pickup in the speedometer cable, on an OBS in the rear differential), a good throttle position signal (From the FIPL), the gear selection (From the MPLS (“neutral safety switch”) on the drivers side of the transmission) and it must be able to “communicate” wither the solenoid pack in the transmission.
I have a very short opportunity to order these parts at the local NAPA this morning.

I need part numbers for all these. Plus their connectors.

I hope someone has that info readily available.

The FIPL. The Tach sensor. The VSS. That connector behind the heat shield. (Need to know what that is called, as well.) And the MLPS.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had to look up the part numbers. Never found a couple of them. What I found, I didn't find in time.

So I am just going to let the shop deal with it.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't know about that.

Too late now. Truck is going to the shop.

They won't be fixing everything, though. So I'll have use for that later. Thank you. :D

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a little info that may be of interest to someone.

I have an 84 E350 that came with a 460/C6. I replaced the C6 with an E4OD, and the Dana 70 3.07 with a Dana 70 3.5 dually. I later replaced the 460 with an 89 IDI, a diesel E4OD, and later a 94 turbo IDI. I built the current E4OD.

I have never had a Ford E4OD controller. The controller throughout has been a first gen Baumman.

There are four solenoids. Two shift, converter lock, and coast clutch. I have LEDs on the four solenoids. They are lit when the solenoids are off, providing a continuity check, and dark when the solenoids are energized.

On my primary trans program, a short time after reaching forth gear, the converter locks. During that time, before converter lock, all solenoids are off; not energized. That is effectively the same as pulling the solenoid pack connector or cutting power to the solenoid pack. That is, you have forth gear, no converter lock.

That implies, that if the control system has lost it's mind, you could pull the solenoid connector, and you could drive as far as you want, at highway speeds, if you had enough flat ground to get up to speed.

No, I have not tried it.