light requirements with a tow dolley

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If I have a visible set of tail/ turn / brake lights up high on the top of my headache rack where they are visible over top of a towed car on a dolly , would I still be required to mount a set of those magnetic lights on top of the towed vehicle? I was thinking of just running a wire from my full time battery charge line on the trailer plug and hooking that to the batt on the towed car and another fot the ground and leaving the marker lights running on the thing going down the road , then just going by the overhead turn signals instead of having to fork over another 50 bucks. Used to be so long as they were visable you were good to go, but these days they get their undies in a bunch overe so many things, I figured I d best check. I'll be pulling a little ford ****** wagon down fron Kansas City to central Arkansas.
Thanks----Robert

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From my experience, you'll be fine with the vehicle lights as marker lights as long as the brake lights are visible like you said.

On the other hand, you can get the magnetic towing lights for $10 from Harbor Freight when they're on super sale (usually $19.99) so it might not even be worth the uncertainty... Even if you buy them at $20, they're prone to breaking so you could use them and if/when they break within 60 days, which they probably will, you can return them for a full refund and not be out anything.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I got a set of the Harbor Freight magnetic ones as well...work great and $10 including wiring.

PackRat239

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the HF mag lights, too, and the magnets suck. I use duct tape to hold them on or they will blow right over. Other than that they work well as trailering lights. Anyway, why take a chance when the lights are so inexpensive and tickets are so expensive?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Well, I didnt know for sure before the trip so I went to advance and they price matched uhauls 29buck price on a set of the things so it wasnt too horrible. I could have got away without them, turns out the new uhaul dollys have lights on them, but in rain, they would be mighty hard to see being all the way up by the front tires
I guess these things will be handy to have for the next time I hook up to a utility or boat trailer where the lights are crap

After this I'm hunting a regular tow truck style light bar for my headache rack