lift pump replacement at 60k miles?

lucky

lucky
Reaction score
Hi All:
Long time no talkie. Been on the road and trouble free. I'm looking for an opinon from the sages of the oilburners.

I'm going on a long trip this winter; east coast to San Diego to Baha. I'm doing some engine drivetrain maintainance and have a question. The truck is running fine but as a precaution, at 60,000 miles, would you suggest replacing the lift pump? It is original. I'm doing the return lines and caps and o rings - I got one weeper.

I've got the spare new lift pump and was considering just taking it along, along with my spare injector pump, vacume pump, starter etc.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Ken

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the original in my truck at 230K, I always hear that the only thing that ruins them in running them dry. Take the spare, and good luck in Mexico: the East Cape is very cool.

R. J.

lucky

lucky
Reaction score
Nice to hear from a high mile user. I always work on the if it ain't broke don't fix it. However, when the wind blows and the snow flies it's no time to wrench. I think I'll leave well enough alone and take the spare and an electric I've got.

The old girl hasn't made me walk yet. But, never say never. It ran like a champ to Alaska and back not missing a beat. It hauled a 11 1/2' Shasta camper - not the fastest but it sure was fun getting there and back.

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think having a spare lift pump along is a good idea. Also, it's not a straight install, IIRC, you have to have the engine in a particular position to make sure the drive arm and cam in the right place.

As an old Baja desert rat, I can tell you that two things are very important down there: good tires with at least one spare, and extra diesel capacity.
Sometimes, they run out of diesel and gas just when and where you want it.
It's awful nice to be able to drive a hundred miles to the next station instead of waiting for three days for a fuel delivery truck to arrive. This happens all the time in Baja.

For prep, I think I'd make sure my radiator was in good shape. If in doubt,
get it cleaned out. I'd throw in an extra vacuum pump, and MAYBE an extra water pump. At least check the end play on the water pump. And a good thermostat, extra fan belts, any gaskets needed. Replace both batteries if they are 5 years old. Maybe you've been there already and know all these things. I've made more than 20 trips down there, and know that if you haven't brought it with you, you are not likely to find it there. One time, I drove from San Diego all the way down to the Yucatan Peninsula in a Willys Jeep with a Chevy 283 gasser with two friends. The fuel pump died part way through the trip. That's when I found out that Chevy V8 engines had not been imported into Mexico, and therefore no parts were available for them.
We drove all the way from the Yucatan to Texas using a boat gas can on the roof siphon-feeding the carburetor through a long boat fuel line. It worked great, except for having to refill the boat tank every 50 miles.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
One time, I drove from San Diego all the way down to the Yucatan Peninsula in a Willys Jeep with a Chevy 283 gasser with two friends. The fuel pump died part way through the trip. That's when I found out that Chevy V8 engines had not been imported into Mexico, and therefore no parts were available for them.
We drove all the way from the Yucatan to Texas using a boat gas can on the roof siphon-feeding the carburetor through a long boat fuel line. It worked great, except for having to refill the boat tank every 50 miles.
Now that is funny! where did you get the boat tank?

lucky

lucky
Reaction score
Lots of spares. New rad, recent waterpump, spare vacum pump, starter hoses and belts, spare injector pump (parts truck), recent alternator, recent batteries, new universal joints with grease zerks.

Interesting Yucatan experience. We did that trip (19,200km) in winter 06. Our nightmare was both rear springs on a 5er. Had to replace them in a campground. Lots of spare springs,brakes, shocks, in mainland Mexico thanks to the topes.

Getting the old stuff to go the distance is kinda fun.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I would consider putting a new injection pump on, but at least having a good spare on hand should get you through. Carry spare filters.....lots of spare filters and if you don't already have an extra water/trash separator before your main fuel filter....get one on there. Mexican fuel is good and cheap...well, at least he cheap part holds true :rotflmao

----------Robert

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that is funny! where did you get the boat tank?

We had an aluminum boat on the roof as we were scuba diving down there.
The tank was from the boat. Had to untie the boat, lift the bow in order to get the tank down to fill it. After we did that for about 1400 miles, we were arguing about whose turn it was to do all that...like kids fighting over whose turn it is to do the dishes.

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would consider putting a new injection pump on, but at least having a good spare on hand should get you through. Carry spare filters.....lots of spare filters and if you don't already have an extra water/trash separator before your main fuel filter....get one on there. Mexican fuel is good and cheap...well, at least he cheap part holds true :rotflmao

----------Robert

I haven't been down there in some time. What's the price of diesel in Baja/Mexico now? When I was there last, it was the same as in California.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I haven't been down there in some time. What's the price of diesel in Baja/Mexico now? When I was there last, it was the same as in California.

It's been quite a few years since I've been down there, but the fuel used to be way cheaper for diesel, but a good portion of it was full of trash and water. I don't think the storage tanks in those backwater towns get inspected very often...like never. The guys running the big trucks through there usually have some pretty serious filtration setups.

---Robert

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of spares. New rad, recent waterpump, spare vacum pump, starter hoses and belts, spare injector pump (parts truck), recent alternator, recent batteries, new universal joints with grease zerks.

Interesting Yucatan experience. We did that trip (19,200km) in winter 06. Our nightmare was both rear springs on a 5er. Had to replace them in a campground. Lots of spare springs,brakes, shocks, in mainland Mexico thanks to the topes.

Getting the old stuff to go the distance is kinda fun.

It looks like you have all the spare parts covered. Extra fuel line, o-rings and caps in case of fuel leaks. If you are taking a trailer again, extra wheel bearings, both inner and outer and seals. As someone else said, extra fuel filters. Start with a fresh one. There's nothing worse than trying to replace a fuel filter on a hot engine.

lucky

lucky
Reaction score
Took the cure on trailers in Mexico. We will take the 11 1/2' Shasta. Sure is nice to stop anytime and park in a car space. We bought it for the Alaska trip and were going to sell it but liked it too much - good thing too, it's just the thing for Mexico this winter.

Put on new return lines, o rings and caps; not too bad a job on an E. Only had one weeper but they were original and over 20 years is enough, anytime anyplace. Got the new shocks on the front the other day.My parts truck has inflatable tubes inside the springs and I was thinking of puting them in the E. Anyone done the spring lift with these inflatable bags? My problem would be to suck the air out of the bags to get them out of the parts truck springs - any bright ideas on how to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online