Lift/fuel pump replacement

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick question about Lift/fuel pump replacement

Hey all, I replaced my lift pump yesterday because it was leaking like a sieve out the weep hole. The uninstall and reinstall went very smoothly. The old one had that very pronounced dog ear kinda bend in the arm. The new one had the gradual bend. Anyway once I had the bolts cracked loose I was able to finish them by hand which I took as a good sign and I paid attention to how I removed the old one and reinstalled the new one in the same configuration as best I could given the two arms are so different. On reinstall I started both bolts by hand and was able to place the new pump flush against the side of the engine and finished tightening them out with the socket wrench.
Ok now my question....I was reading here about the lift pump and folks commenting on how they can be installed incorrectly and break the arm off. I took the truck for a test spin and actually by the ole butt o meter the truck feels a bit more peppy and also seems to start better. Anyway no strange sounds and best of all no more leak. Oh yah my question....what are the symptoms of an improper install? I'm thinking lots of noise and no fuel being pumped? Can an install be done incorrectly and still run so good? Sometimes you can read into stuff to much, lol but these comments have me second guessing my replacement. Thanks!

Last edited:

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some aftermarket pumps have an arm with a different shape. The incorrect install entails putting the arm above the cam lobe rather than below it. If you positioned the arm below the cam lobe when you installed it, you're golden.

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one I took out looked like this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/89-90-91-92...SEL-CARTER-MECHANICAL-FUEL-PUMP-/321736362603

The one I put in....http://www.autozone.com/fuel-delive...iesel/348487_994242_0/?CJPID=3429309&cmpid=cj

I read about the cam but since I couldn't see it I guess I'm asking ....if I don't know in which position I reinstalled it would the truck let me know by making a racket or something? I read that the new pump wouldn't be able to be flush against the side if the engine if installed improperly which also gave me reason to think I was all good. But since I can't confirm the position of the arm I'm wondering if there would be obvious signs that it was installed incorrectly? Thanks.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I bet it's fine.
I think someone (gary?) Said they can still work if installed wrong, just not to full potential.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online