lets talk pistons

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have not read anything about them yet. I prefer what the engine builders used from the factory. Forged Mahle pistons. These days they have been modified with wider rings and hard anadoised tops. If you choose to run other than hard anadoised tops please run a ceramic coated piston top. It shields the piston from much of the heat ..

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Talking with Tim at Barnett, he was going to use pistons from Diamond. They make them per customer spec. ;)

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From the folks I've talked to engine tech is suppossed to be a decent brand - seems like they buy stuff from various OEMs and then rebrand it.

Check on e-bay too - there's some good deals on new pistons on there. I got a set for something like $150 IIRC? New Mahle pistons though in someone else's box.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not read anything about them yet. I prefer what the engine builders used from the factory. Forged Mahle pistons. These days they have been modified with wider rings and hard anadoised tops. If you choose to run other than hard anadoised tops please run a ceramic coated piston top. It shields the piston from much of the heat ..

We had this conversation before, you say Forged I say Hyperutectic. I still stand by that. I am running them in my truck now cause forged cost about $350 each from ROSS

Javier

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Disagree. Hypereutectic is suboptimal for a diesel application due to brittleness. The main plus of the hypereutectic is low thermal expansion allowing closer piston clearances primarily to reduce emissions. You get some bulk strength increase, but at the cost of higher brittleness and lower toughness both of which are pretty significant for a diesel application.

Never heard of anyone having real problems with the stock cast pistons - they seem strong enough to handle pretty much anything a normal driver would throw at them. If anything, the main failure mode is thermal damage due to overfueling or cracking, and neither one is helped at all (and in fact, hurt to some extent) by a hypereutectic alloy. Higher strength is only really going to help if the failure mode is structural - ie piston pin pulling out of the skirt.

In fact, these pistons are tough enough that I made it over 100 miles on a turboed engine at ~15k with substantial damage to a piston due to a dropped valve - the piston had a ~1/2 hole clean through the crown and a valve head completely embedded into the crown.

I would submit that regular old stock cast pistons from a reputable manufacturer are perfectly fine. Only thing I would do is ceramic coat them.
~John

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
im bidding on a set of pistons NOS IH right now....but at the $239 price tag of the engine tech's its hard to justify the $1000 tag of the silvolite's....

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have a set of 7 factory mahle pistons for the 7.3 idi engine. I'm sure Mahle can sell you a set of rings and a piston cheaply. Pm me for details. Price is $100.00 plus shipping. Now these are the oem pistons with the thinner rings. Part number on the box is 1441800WR. Date on the box is 1999 from Brasil.