Let's Talk Dyno Results

RedTruck

Reaction score
I figured I would try to start a new thread with only dyno results, and questions and comments about said engine.

I'll start off by posting the dyno sheet that came with my rebuild. I purchased a long block 6.9 through a local Navistar dealer. At the time I purchased this engine, Navistar was having Franklin Power Products rebuild the 6.9 and 7.3 engines. This should give a good example of a stock engine.

You must be registered for see images

I believe if I did my math correctly (someone here posted Torque x RPM / 5220 = HP) it comes out right around 155 HP.

Paul

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
Just good to make note... 'cause people comparing will likely be doing so with chassis dynos, having drivetrain loss. Thanks for the good benchmark.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm confused. Aren't these engines supposed to put out over 300 ft/lbs of torque by 1400 RPM? Torque on this chart peaks at the highest RPM:confused:

RedTruck

Reaction score
David,

I'll call them and see if they can explain how this curve was achieved.

Paul

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea it doesn't look right. I doubt the validity of it, but we need to understand how they tested it.

RedTruck

Reaction score
Here's what I found out...

When they test the engine they aren't interested in producing an accurate dyno curve. They are only interested in horsepower at governed RPM, which they must calculate from this chart. They don't load the engine down enough during the run-up to produce an accurate torque curve over the entire RPM range. They care about the torque at governed RPM, oil pressure, and temp. That being said the HP calculated from the torque value at max rpm would be accurate, but since this is a long block they probably just eyeball the timing.

Can I get a do over on this thread? Sorry fellas.

Paul

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
aside from most likely not being timed, that is a fresh engine that has not had time to even seat the rings yet. Hardly a prime example for testing.
I imagine that they have their own internal specs that they are shooting for when one comes off the line for pass /fail

motrack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how long its been since you brought that reman engine? Franklin Power Products was located in Franklin Indiana and closed its doors going on 2 yrs now.

They paid good money for rebuildable cores until they closed.

RedTruck

Reaction score
I bought it during the winter of 2000. It's been a great engine thus far.

Paul