Lets have some fun!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
remember SIZE MATTERS.
This guy had the right idea going when he bought the truck (chevy C5500 AWD) but must have hit his head on the choice for the stacks.
lookie........cookoo

Measure twice...cut once. LOL

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Whoever wins and whatever the stacks go on, remember SIZE MATTERS.

This guy had the right idea going when he bought the truck (chevy C5500 AWD) but must have hit his head on the choice for the stacks.
lookie........cookoo

Says alot about Chebby guys eh :rotflmao ;Poke -----:angel:

Blk03PSD

Reaction score
A True Mother Trucking Essay

My journey to Oilburners began in Denver on a cool, sunny Saturday afternoon in February, 2003. I owned a Red 2002, 4.0 liter step-side Ranger, which I was quite happy with at the time. My wife and I made frequent trips into the mountains and on numerous occasions my mother would join us, leaving my wife to sit in the little jump seats behind the front seats. (I think you all can guess where this is going)

Well, this particular Saturday happened to be after a Friday night downtown where my wife, again, was relegated to the jump seats in the Ranger. We were out running errands and were near Barbee’s Freeway Ford when she suggested that we go and look and see how much new trucks are after declaring “I am not going to get friggin stuck in that sorry excuse for a seat again”. I said that was a very bad idea because we cannot afford a new truck right now, she said “It won’t hurt just to look…”

A couple things were going on that made the purchase of my 2003 7.3 F250 Super Duty possible. First, the 7.3s were being fazed out for the much anticipated 6.0s and Barbee’s Freeway Ford was being relocated due to a massive construction project widening I-25, for which most of their was lot taken. So, Barbee wanted to get rid of a few trucks and my wife loved all the room…what’s a guy to do?

Well, we loved the truck, as you would imagine going from a Ranger right to the F-250 - didn’t even look at the cute little F-150s. Trips to the mountains were fantastic. All that room meant we could take more stuff, so we purchased more stuff. Life was great, my wife and mother were happy.

Then at some point and I don’t remember exactly how or when, I learned you could really get some power out of these things with a programmer and the whole world changed, I had become an addict. The programmer is a gateway performance enhancer. The next thing I know I am looking at free flow air filters and larger exhaust, little did I know how large the diesel performance enhancing universe is…until my friend Stacy David showed me the Banks “Power Pack” on one of his episodes on Trucks!. There it was, the Holy Grail of performance upgrades, or so I thought at the time. I dreamed about the Power Pack, lusted for it. I wanted it so bad I did what any other true American would do, I charged it. I did scale back my desires a little though and went with their “Stinger” kit which was the Power Pack sans the new inter-cooler.

The kit arrived in the middle of June, 2003, and with it the beginning of my F250 heartaches. (Incidentally, two weeks later we learned my wife was pregnant with our first child, my daughter. This did not cause trouble with the truck, just the finances.) I tore in to the kit, got everything out and lined up all the new pretty stuff in the living room. I was giddy with anticipation as I waited for the weekend. The next Saturday morning I woke early and got started. The turbo had to come off, the stock exhaust and PCM removed and the gauge pod installed. It was a busy and exciting day, my neighbor questioning my sanity as I saws-alled the factory exhaust of a 5 month old truck.

It was about this time in the install when Murphy showed up to help. I couldn’t get the turbo to seat back on the Y-pipe. After two or three attempts I was stumped, the clamp would just not go back on. I tightened it the best I could and waited until Monday so I could start calling shops to help. I found a place that did diesel performance work on the other side of Denver and another $400 later I was fixed up. Seems I flattened the pin in the Y-pipe that seats in the turbine housing. Murphy.

After swallowing the additional expense and explaining to my (pregnant) wife I really had no other option, I was rolling. Life was again complete, sort of. I really felt the truck performed better with the Micro-tuner than with the Banks electronics, so I pulled all the Banks electronics and ran the micro-tuner with all the Banks hardware. WOW! It was awesome, until another beautiful December Saturday.

I was getting on the freeway and matted the go-pedal and POW, a grenade went off under the hood and the cabin was filled with the sound of a metal garbage can being rolled down the street and enormous plumes of white smoke were being emitted out of the 5” polished tip of my Banks exhaust system. Sheer panic ensued. What happened? The turbo broke? Are there turbo parts in my motor?

I had the truck picked up and taken to the dealership; I am thinking “warranty”. I received a call from the service guy at the dealership that following Monday and telling me that the turbo was wasted and that it should be covered under warranty. I kept quiet about the Banks stuff and the programmer, not really knowing how that would impact anything and would have been happy to sacrifice the Banks turbo modifications just to get my truck running again under warranty.

Later that day came another call, the one where they tell me that actually, it will not be covered under warranty due to the Banks parts and a code indicating that a programmer (which had been uninstalled) had been installed. Another $1000 AND the loss of the Banks parts which were sent away with the turbo core and could not be located to be returned to me.
I picked the truck up the next day and there I was, about $4500 in to the Banks mods and only had the exhaust and gauges to show for it. I was very despondent, but I reached back behind the seat, grabbed the micro-tuner and plugged it in. At least I still had that. And that is the way it remained for three years, a stock turbo with a Banks exhaust and Superchips micro-tuner, not daring to do anything but change the oil and filters.

We acquired our Puma 30’ travel trailer in September of 2006, a dream we were finally able to realize and one of the original reasons we went with a Super Duty in the first place. This was also about the time that I discovered Oilburners. I was thrilled to be able to learn from others questions, knowledge and mistakes. I can only wish that I would have been aware of such a valuable resource before the Banks endeavor, I would probably have saved thousands.

Well, I read and monitored for months before signing up and posting for the first time. I didn’t want to ask a dumb question or sound stupid explaining something. There were so many acronyms and strange nomenclature, it took a long time for me to be able to even understand a lot of things that were being discussed. And then I read a post about someone wanting advice on how to intentionally blow his motor on purpose so he could get a new one before his warranty expired…I thought, Okay, I could never in a million years say anything that would sound that stupid and signed up.

Since then I have had a couple questions and made several posts, I have received what I believe to be solid and balanced information. I was even able to muster the intestinal fortitude to pull the turbo again and install a wicked wheel and new turbine housing and we are running great. (And now we really appreciate the room the truck has, we are expecting our second child, a son, in August)

Thanks Oilburners, y’all rock!
Steve

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awhile after having my Diesel I needed some info that wasn't in my manual, I went to the Internet and searched around. I found 2 forums that I thought looked good, one of them was OB. I needed to find out how to time my new IP, even on my first post I got multiple replies and none of the usual condescending attitude towards newbies. I knew then that I had found my spot. Since then I have gone from knowing almost nil about Ford Diesels to sometimes being able to answer others questions. Its great. Obviously my favorite thing about my truck is the fact it is diesel, but mostly just love the complicated yet simple mechanical injection system. The newest thing I own is an 85, except the diesel they are all carburated and that is the way I like it. So you can see why I would like having an IDI the best. Now for a short story My friend Chuck and I have written about changing his water pump....

You see, due to my extreme capability and my unsurpassed intellectual powers(from learning at OB), I have overcame and conquered the rebellion of the water pump. No longer will the evils reign in the Kingdom of Diesel Diesel. The evil King Leeky Pump has been stealing the peoples antifreeze which is used to protect lands from the extreme heat -Flame Thr that can kill their crops and cause famine to break out and destroy the people. The Gnomes Of Diesel Diesel, have called on me to destroy the evil King Leeky Pump and have Prince New Part assume the role of the new King. Yesterday I led a siege :fight: :fight: :fight: against the King and the battle was fierce. His captain Fan and his men Fan Clutch Assembly put up much resistance and was unwilling to surrender. I battled with my weapons BIG wrench and hammer :idiot: :idiot: but to no avail. However back at the base we had our secret weapon we fashioned in foreseeing the evils of Leeky Pump, It is rightly named The Fan Clutch Kit. After reinforcements arrived from camp Advance Auto with the new weapons, Capitan Fan and his men were defeated. :thumbsup: Even though Capitan fan and his men were defeated the battle was far from over. ;Pissed King Leeky Pump had protection, for His henchmen had over taken the local facilities, Dominion Power CO. and the Negative Atmosphere Generator. I prepared my men and weapons and went into battle. We attacked with our sockets and ratchets and easily reclaimed the city for Prince New Part. King Leeky Pump's castle was neglected and so it was easy to break in to the walls of his palace. After seeing that His defeat was certain, he gave up and the chosen King, New Part was crowned as the rightfull King over the land of Diesel Diesel and the rebuilding of the city began. :hail :hail :hail The town morale was good and things are looking good. We replaced the thermostat that was ruined under Leeky Pumps reign and the cities radiator hoses. :D Capitan 84TD and his counsel has been key to our strategic attacks during the war and In the rebuilding of the city. Although it was not easy the Gnomes of Diesel Diesel cheered as the land was restored and thanked us with excellent fuel milage, increased reliability and awesome towing power for our aid in their time of need. LOL LOL

Greenhornet1986

Reaction score
I hope this isnt too late to put in for this, forgot to do it last night.

I do not own an IDI, or even a ford pickup, but I do check in here regularly. I have an 03 Dodge 3500 CTD.

I reckon I found this site through a guy on another site I visit regularly, I was asking about my friend's truck, that was having problems, and that person pm'd me with a link to here. I passed it on to my friend, who is also on this board now.

I hang around here because there is sometimes a question that needs to be answered over in the dodge forums, and although we have some dodge members, it is sometimes slow on the forums. I dont know everything about these trucks, but I read a lot on other forums on what other people did to fix problems, and if I ever see a post where I do not know the answer, I PM the person, and give them a link where they can find the information. I just hope that I can help someone on this site.

I love my truck, and the reason is.....I dont honestly know. I love the power it makes, the somewhat simplicity of the design of the motor. I hate the tranny, but oh well. One day, I have big plans for my truck, but I have to pay it off first.

I enjoy this site because it doesnt seem to have all the people who bash the newbies, and also you do not limit what we say as much as other sites do. Y'all also seem to have a few mods to each board, so that always helps out when you're running a right good sized site such as this one.

I guess that's all I have to say, good luck to whomever wins the exhaust system.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a few more hours folks, get them in by midnight Pacific Time tonight..... ;Sweet

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Well lets start off my little essay by going back in time to before I was born. The year is 1985 and my grandparents were on a hunt for the best truck they could affoard. My grandfather had been a truck driver for 10 years up to that point, and he decided he was going to buy a truck with a diesel engine in it. So they went to the local Chevy dealer first, because they had long been Chevy people. They went in and asked if they could have a test drive, and of course the eager car salesman was only to happy to let them drive a brand spanking new 1985, Chevy, 3/4 ton, 4x4, 6.2 liter IDI, 4-spd. They went around the lot, and my grandparents were not all that impressed, but didnt absoulutly hate it so they kept it as an option.

The following weekend they went to the local Ford dealer and as before asked for a test drive. The car salesmans took them outside onto the lot and pointed them towards a new 1985 Ford F-250, regular cab, 4x4, 6.9 liter IDI, T-19, beige in color. They took it around the lot and they loved it, they especially loved the power the 6.9 IDI had in it compared to the chevy's 6.2 IDI.

On the way back to their house my grandparents talked about how much they liked the truck. Over the next week they debated to each other why and why not they should buy the truck. Finally the next Saturday they went to the that Ford dealer adament on buying the truck they had test driven the week before. After what seemed like hours of negotiating the cost of the truck, they settled on the price, and drove home that truck.

Fast Forward to 1996, that 1985 Ford is still running strong. About once a week my grandfather and I would climb into the cab of it and drive down to the local truck stop to eat pancakes and talk to the other truckers there ;Sweet . We did that for many years until school finally got in the way. In 1999 My grandparents moved from living only 100 yards away, to over 250 miles away. My parents and I helped them move of coarse, and I got to ride in the cab listening to nothing but my grandfather and the roar of that IDI trip after trip, driving there stuff from the old to their new house. Then in 2003 they decided to move from Medford Or, to Dalles Or, and guess who was there to sit in that truck trip after trip helping them move. They got all moved in, but they still required my servaces helping them organize their shops of clutter and what not. One weekend my grandfather and I went into Salem with the intentions of buying a sheetmetal bender. So we were heading into Salem Or when my grandfather said "Justin, you know that I have two trucks" I of course replied "yeah, what about it". He replied "Well I only need one". I being cocky replied "well grandpa, I'll take one off of your hands". He laughed and said "alright Justin, heres the deal, when you turn 15 I will give you this truck if and only if you have good grades and aren't wearing baggy pants or have any peircings". I of coarse took him up on it. On my 15 birthday we went over there and he signed her over to me :thumbsup: . This was one of the happiest days of my life.

So some of you might be wondering were OB's comes in. Well in all of the excitement of getting my new truck I got on the web and started looking for forums that I could talk about and ask questions about my truck. At first I was a member of one of the "other" sights. I was on there all the time but it just didnt seem like there were all that many posts on or about my truck. I got fed up when somebody over there showed me the way to OB's. At first I felt dirty coming over here :dunno , cause I had been a die hard member of this particular "other" sight for a long time. I grew to love OB's very fast. Theirs multiple reasons why.

First off the moderators rock on this sight, I mean I had posts deleted by moderators on the "other" sight, and it down right pissed me off.

Second is knowledge I can come on here and ask a question and these guys will know what I'm going threw, how to fix it/make it better, stories about their own personal encounters with what I'm talking about...ect.

Thirdly, nice people. Nobody on OB :)eek: oh yeah stairway to heaven just came on the radio ;Sweet :thumbsup: :hail . Theres a lady who's sure... sorry I'm getting distracted) will insult my intelligence and what not. Everybody is nice and curtious to each other. And nobody is going to get into a heated argument with a fellow OB member.

All in all OB is the greatest forum period. I can spend all day on here and I will come out knowing something new. I can always come on here and post a question, and it will always get answered. And of coarse you guys can spend my money like now tommorow :rotflmao ;Sweet LOL .

Good luck to all that have entered this contest.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are some terrific entries from youse guys, we are reading through them now. ;Sweet

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dagnabit guys, this is a tough choice. :popcorn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965