legal issues of running wmo?

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does anyone know for certain what the law is regarding the use of wmo as an additive to diesel fuel? If you get caught with it, do you basically get charged the same as if you were running off-road diesel? It seems like the fuel in the tank will look black whether you add a quart of it or blend it 50/50 so that's why i say "additive", and that is what you would say if your tank gets dipped. So what would they say? Around here the fine for using off-road diesel is 10K i have heard, and my guess is that is what they would say...and that is keeping me from using it right now, but it is getting temping because i have a lot of motor oil and a lot of kerosene from an old furnace my neighbor gave me and a 50/50 blend of the two would be easy to filter and it seems pretty well thinned out.
Has anyone looked into this issue?
thanks,
paul

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless you get motor oil tax free I do not think you could be charged with running it as fuel. Hell my old S-10 burns probaly just as much oil as gas. LOL Not really but not to far behind.LOL

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Questions:
1) who are "they" that you're worried about?
2) how are "they" gonna know what you're running without special testing?
3) with all them shiney new trucks driven by a-holes like they own the road, why you think "they" will pick exactly your (old and cheap) truck for target?

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I seriously doubt anybody would care about the WMO. The kerosene is another story, since it is (more or less) a direct replacement for taxed fuel.

sassyrel

Reaction score
it is legal to run your own----"drainage" oil in your truck--now as to whether they can figure out what amount youve been running in your truck--and this is the drainage from all the vehicles ------- "you" own------:D

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when they dip your tank they are looking for red, not oil. been there done that, oil is fine. they cant do anything aout oil, you paid for it and you can use it any way you want. if they really get pissy with you just ask them where can you buy bottled sulfer? if they say theres no suck thing look at them and say, well the oil is there for the same reason sulfer was.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would be hard to say without knowing what state you're in. I'd say to legally use that Kerosene you'd probably have to pay some additional tax on it. Is it dyed? If yes get caught and you'll be in hot water, if no, then its a matter of if you want to be strictly legal or not as it would be darned hard to tell if its diesel, biodiesel or what it is.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
To hell with the government, we pay enough G.D. taxes now....Taxes were payed multiple times over on that WMO between getting it out of the ground, refined, trucked, used, removed and then burn't in your IDI....Burn it for spite, if they question you then tell them the engine is old and putting oil in the fuel....Quite common for a HUI engine...We know that's not the case for an IDI but I doubt the DOT moron's will know the difference.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would be the same as if you make Biodiesel. You need to pay road taxes at the end of the year, weather you do or not is up to you and I dont know how "they" would know anyway.

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the replies so far.
i did some research and found another ford truck forum where some people had some stories that made me nervous. One person, who lives in WV, had his tank dipped three times last year, and another person who has been dipped many times said once they even removed his fuel filter to check it!
There was also a story about a "workshop" for tax authorities near columbus, oh, that was to educate them on the various exhaust smells common to biofuels so whenever they smell that they can immediately dip the tank and see if you have paid the road taxes, and if not you can get fined the same as if you were running off road diesel (i think).
whether or not you would get fined for having motor oil in the tank probabaly depends on what state you live in and who "dips" you, and whether or not you even live in an area where the authorities dip frequently.
i am mostly into wvo but when that runs dry i will definitely run wmo/K1 blend.
After what i read today i decided to call the department of revenue to begin the process of filling out all the paperwork etc to get registered and at least pay some road taxes, so when i get dipped i will have some paperwork on me that shows i have paid the road taxes. I don't see any way they could keep track of every mile i drive and what i drove it on - but it would be good to at least have some receipts on me when the time comes.
thanks,
paul

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Paul, which state you live in man? How is your registration (annual license plate fee) determined? In MI tis based off the GVW of the truck, just for road damage purposes, the heavier your truck is (so more wear and tear on the roads) the more you pay when tis time to renew your plates. I ain't never heard of anyone being "dipped" here, but then again we do not have emissions testing either, so we can get away with a lot of things, guess your situation is different. And by the way, who's they who "dip" you, the DOT inspectors or the super-troopers (motor carrier police officers)?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In Florida, you can get a "Blender's License" its nice cause they don't give you an **** probe for it like they do for any other fuel license and its pretty cheap too. $33.00 a year. I've been paying taxes on my b100 but they have forms for Kero, dyed diesel, undyed diesel etc. I was told that the IRS doesn't collect excise or highway tax on homebrew bio but I know they will collect a small tax on kero plus around 24 cents a gallon in highway taxes on any kind of diesel fuel.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the high visibility of this new "energy crisis" I doubt anybody would stop you. If they did, you could crucify them on the evening news. Folks can't feed their families because they have to drive to work. The first government action to try and stop some body from saving themselves from the Arabs is going to become a poster child for the next civil war, or at the very least a political upheaval. I heard this morining somebody predicts $10 a gallon in the near future. It that happens, this planet will stop spinning.