Leaking Injectors?

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking over stuff on the engine since I’m preparing to drive to Moab (2000miles RT). Do these two Injectors appear to be leaking? I see obviously some amounts of diesel possibly from the rubber lines (return lines?). I’m curious if based on this photo if anyone could confirm whether or not that’s the injectors leaking and if it’s actually something to worry about. The other ones are all bone dry.

You must be registered for see images attach

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn't look very bad, the o-rings under that plastic cap are probably beginning to weep. Nothing to WORRY about, but I'd order up a return line kit from Wes or Russ.

I've had to drive mine with a much worse leak than that. No issues other than the smell of hot diesel on the intake manifold :puke:

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When running I looked and a small drop of fuel built up on the rubber line. Can I just replace that bit of line? At least as a short term possible fix?

Philip1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When running I looked and a small drop of fuel built up on the rubber line. Can I just replace that bit of line? At least as a short term possible fix?
The return lines and caps tend to leak more after being disturbed. Its possible that replacing the fuel line will fix your leak but its also likely the movement caused by removing the hose will make the caps leak even worse.

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The return lines and caps tend to leak more after being disturbed. Its possible that replacing the fuel line will fix your leak but its also likely the movement caused by removing the hose will make the caps leak even worse.

Noted. So if I were to buy the kit from Wes for example I'm going to be replacing the cap as well so it wouldn't make the issue worse when I replace it then?

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Noted. So if I were to buy the kit from Wes for example I'm going to be replacing the cap as well so it wouldn't make the issue worse when I replace it then?
Wes is on a brief hiatus to catch up on orders and work his projects. Can't remember the date but he did mention it in a thread you could find.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No because the kit comes with replacement O-rings as well which are usually one of the first things to start leaking when bumped. That's what actually fixes it. I've replaced just the hose and o-rings before while reusing the original caps without issue.

Wes is on a brief hiatus to catch up on orders and work his projects. Can't remember the date but he did mention it in a thread you could find.

I believe he's closed through October 31st.

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No because the kit comes with replacement O-rings as well which are usually one of the first things to start leaking when bumped. That's what actually fixes it. I've replaced just the hose and o-rings before while reusing the original caps without issue.

Do you think I could get an o-ring that would fit at the local Napa? I just want to have something on stand by in case it gets worse on the long drive. Plus, now that I kinda touched it and what not I wouldn't be surprised if it gets worse :idiot:

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you think I could get an o-ring that would fit at the local Napa? I just want to have something on stand by in case it gets worse on the long drive. Plus, now that I kinda touched it and what not I wouldn't be surprised if it gets worse :idiot:

Possibly. But the truth is if you touch one you might as well do all the ones on that side, because you cannot replace one without disturbing the others.

The o-rings are "dash 111" size. I think they are 7/16 inside and 5/8 outside but don't quote me on that. If you decide to buy some buy Viton.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051Y1VYY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_btf_t1_fdsEFbVZ8H5KQ

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much.

I did notice that one of the pictured return lines (furthest back) looks a little longer and like it’s a slightly different line making me suspicious that someone replaced that line only at some point.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Possibly. But the truth is if you touch one you might as well do all the ones on that side, because you cannot replace one without disturbing the others.
Do all on one side, definitely. Then start up the engine and bleed those four injectors, before you do the other side. That way you always have at least 4 bled injectors to start on. It saves a little cranking.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Napa sells the whole kit. Not as high quality as the ones from the vendors here but ok in a pinch

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Heck. I've run one from Pensacola Diesel, in a pinch, for about 6 months and had no issues with it.