Latest on making a gasser ZF-5 trans to 6.9 swap

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, I started some weeks ago with a question to the group about what I had to do to make a T-19 to ZF5 swap. I have a ZF5 from a gasser engine truck with a fresh overhaul on it and want to install it behind my 6.9. Here are the latest in my efforts.

Found a salvage yard that had a 1985 donor 6.9 engine/T-19 with adapter plate, removed the plate. At that point, I'm sure I have a plate that will fit my engine, now to try the plate against the ZF 5 setting in the bed. I did, and it ABSOLUTELY will not match the bolt holes on the GASSER ZF 5. Next!

Found a second donor 6.9 engine, this one from a 1989 truck which had a ZF 5 transmission. Engine is on the ground, plate is still bolted to the engine, the ZF 5 that came off it is setting two feet away. I removed the plate, took it to the gasser ZF 5 setting in bed of my 85 and mated it up.. NO FIT! Bolt pattern is WAY OFF.

Bottom line is this guys. The gasser ZF 5 bell housing uses a totally different bolt spacing. THE DIESEL ZF 5 BELL HOUSING is what I HAVE TO HAVE, With a diesel adapter plate. ....[damn!!!!!]

I bought the adapter plate, ZF 5, rear cross member, and even the sheet metal that goes in the floor.. I'm tired of messing around, I WILL have a 5 speed. Now I own two, one is fresh overhauled and doesn't fit, :puke: :puke: :puke:

Amazing what you can't do some days. Looks like I'm driving this truck forever after a new SM flywheel, 12 in clutch, two trans, a gear vendors $$$$$$ ouch.

Anybody got a good diesel forward case for a ZF? I got a good set of wide ratio guts. Hate to see the gasser trans go to waste.

RedTruck

Reaction score
A fellow on here that goes by the handle Camarogenius had a few tanked ZF-5 parts laying around. He tried getting rid of them a while back. You could check with him.

Paul

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip.:hail :hail

Anyone know how to get hold of him? , or have him get hold of me?:confused:

What's the chance of a tanked ZF5 having a good case?:dunno

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might want to consider putting some of your info - like a description of your truck and where you are located - in your public profile.

Then I wouldn't have to ask the two following questions (and maybe get your hopes up for nothing)

Are you looking for a 2WD tranny, or one for a 4WD?
In what state are you located?

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry guys,, I'm still a new guy on this board so overlooked the obvious details.

I'm located in Phoenix, AZ... The trans is two wheel drive. My truck is an 85 with "only" 273k on it... 2WD. 6.9.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online