Kustom Conversion

wbjames

07 2500 Cummins
Reaction score
Being new to Diesels. (Bought my First last year 07 2500 4x4 Cummins SLT) I am taking on a project of crazy proportions. I picked up a 92 Club Cab LE with the first Gen for a song and a dance. 2x4. My plan is to section the frame in 2 places, swap in a 60 in the front and set on my 1977 Trailduster body.

Here is my major concern. Engine compartment size. When Dodge started using the Cummins in 89, did they make any major changes in the firewall or any ware else from the 77 to the 92s?

I do realize I am going to be beating my head against the wall trying to get a Radiator, condenser and Intercooler in. Plus oil and trans coolers. Going to have to be creative there. Wiring yeck... But I think the end result will be worth it

Many Thanks in Advance

William

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9l 4x4 All stock (For the time being)
1988 Dakota 4x4 V6 (Soon to get a 5.7l or a 4bt)
1977 Plymouth Trailduster (in peices)
Wifey Mobile 2005 PT Cruser

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
William,
Welcome to OB! You might want to start a thread in the conversion section, we love pictures too! seeing you have a complete donor you might be able to keep the front clip minus the skins to help out the rad clip work? Can ya weld? Is a trailduster a truck?:dunno

wbjames

07 2500 Cummins
Reaction score
Ya remember that old Dodge Ramchargers? The Trailduster is Plymouth's version. And the 77 is a Full convertable from the windshield back. I have the Hard and soft tops for it.

And yes I can weld, Stick, MIG and some TIG Retired US Navy Spent Many years in the Repair Dept. I was a Machinest.

I'll repost in the conversation section. Thanks!!

Last edited:

wbjames

07 2500 Cummins
Reaction score
Here is a pict of the doner, it will be here on Monday or Tuesday.

Attachments

• doner.jpg
    doner.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 14

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Hey cool!
Thank You for your service to our great country!;Sweet

Those were real trucks, my boss had a 78 I think? he was big 6 something and 200 something and would get on the roof and dance, then climb inside and pop it back out! we would take that thing every where. had glass packs could hear it coming 3 blocks away!

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Since the truck is a '92 then it came from the factory with an intercooler and everything. The '72 (I think) to '93 trucks were basically identical except for trim and sheet metal items. The reason the grille was changed in '91 was to allow extra room for the intercooler.

Except for the grille, the swap should be pretty much straight forward. You will want to also swap the wiring harness out of your donor truck into the cab of the Trailduster so that the Wait To Start lights and other Cummins-specific lights will function properly. I'm not sure if you are going to use the existing D250 frame chopped down. If so, then the only things you will need to swap will be the few electronics items.

Luck with it.

wbjames

07 2500 Cummins
Reaction score
Rebel,
You pretty much said my plan. I am taking a chunk out of the center(ish) part of the 250 frame to get the wheelbase matched. Not sure how much or if any any out from behind the rear wheel. The IC, condencer and radiater are gone. But for 650$ I can't complain. I received the truck last night and I plan on evaluating the wiring before I make any decisions. I'll have to measure body mount locations, but I expect most of them to line up. Stll lots to get, front suspension and transfercase.
Many Thanks!!

Attachments

• PIC-0153.jpg
    PIC-0153.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 6
  • PIC-0155.jpg
    PIC-0155.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 11

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
A common upgrade the the factory intercooler is a factory intercooler from a '99-03 Ford Super Duty. It takes a little modification to the radiator support. Check JC Whitney for the radiator and if I remember right I've seen a few radiators for sell on eBay too.

Looks like you'll have to either cut-down the stock drive shaft, though from the factory they came with a center carrier bearing. The stocker form the 'Duster may work though. More than likely the front shaft can come from a donor 4x4 Cummins truck.

You may want to do a search. If I remember right, a member here has done a conversion that swapped a Cummins into a 2wd Ramcharger with good results. I remember there was lots of pics and good information that may help you out.

wbjames

07 2500 Cummins
Reaction score
I'll look into the Ford. I also considered the Banks IC upgrade for my 07 then reuse the IC on the Plymouth. But that is 1200.00+ I don't have just now. Front shaft will be a Parts Yard shaft with new U-joints. Rear will have to be custom. I will reuse all I can from the doner.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online