Keep truck or sell it for a gas truck???

farmboy9090

Reaction score
I am thinking about selling my 85 Ford 6.9 IDI,C6 trans 4X4 Black Reg cab long box with 10" drop bumper with decent 285/75/16 tires. Interior is good for its age the engine starts right up with no problem even when not pluged in below 30 degrees. Has 151,000, or 251,000 and previous owner put a 89 box on it, newer fenders and doors so it looks pretty darn good. Little bit of rust on bottom of cab but no holes yet. ;Sweet
I bought the truck at the end of this winter 2011 and just dont drive it or use it like I thought I would. The more it sits the more little issues she likes to throw back at me and I know vehicles are made to sit around and I also know a almost 30 year old truck will have its issues. I would like to get a truck at least 7 -10 years newer and let the diesel go to someone who will use it for what it can do. I have about 2700 in it all together which isn't too much so do you think I can get my money out of it or do you think I will have to take a loss?:dunno
Any opinons or comments will help. thanks

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
2700 sound s a bit high if it has rust and a miss matched bed and fenders. I would say closer to 1500-2000. I paid 3k for truck in avatar 3 years ago and there is NO RUST

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your not using the truck as much as you thought you would what makes you think that you would use a gasser more?.

farmboy9090

Reaction score
I just think right at this moment I dont really need a diesel truck because I dont need a 3/4 ton, I would like something with four wheel drive that I can just start up anytime in winter and I do occassional use the truck to haul stuff around. Yes I know diesels do start in winter but I keep my spare vehicle I dont drive at my uncles farm because I dont have room in town and in winter I would have to drive up there in winter to plug in and my truck throws heat but it could be better. I would like the truck to go to someone who will use the truck for what it can do is pull. Dont have anything bad against diesel trucks gas truck parts are just a little more affordable on most of the parts.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just think right at this moment I dont really need a diesel truck because I dont need a 3/4 ton, I would like something with four wheel drive that I can just start up anytime in winter and I do occassional use the truck to haul stuff around. Yes I know diesels do start in winter but I keep my spare vehicle I dont drive at my uncles farm because I dont have room in town and in winter I would have to drive up there in winter to plug in and my truck throws heat but it could be better. I would like the truck to go to someone who will use the truck for what it can do is pull. Dont have anything bad against diesel trucks gas truck parts are just a little more affordable on most of the parts.

Oh so your looking for a truck that uses more fuel and has a computer that can lead to more problems and also will not last as long as a diesel. As for plugging the truck in when it is winter you may not have to do that. Most diesels will start in the winter without being plugged in as long as the fuel system, batteries, glow plug system and starter are good.

Personally I would rather drive a 3/4 ton truck as opposed to a half ton as the 3/4 ton is a better built truck. If you looking to sell it then you could always list it on CL and name your price higher than you actually want. You might get someone to actually buy it.

If your looking for a value of what it is worth then post pics of the truck including any body rust, dents or dings and some here will tell you what they would be willing to pay. Don't forget to include mileage and maintenance as well as any repairs you did.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at these diesels(IDI's) as the ultimate flex fuel vehicle or a mad max vehicle.:eek: (just saying in case things get really bad:D)
They can burn many different blends of fuel long after a gas motor would stop.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Oh so your looking for a truck that uses more fuel and has a computer that can lead to more problems and also will not last as long as a diesel. As for plugging the truck in when it is winter you may not have to do that. Most diesels will start in the winter without being plugged in as long as the fuel system, batteries, glow plug system and starter are good.

Personally I would rather drive a 3/4 ton truck as opposed to a half ton as the 3/4 ton is a better built truck. If you looking to sell it then you could always list it on CL and name your price higher than you actually want. You might get someone to actually buy it.

If your looking for a value of what it is worth then post pics of the truck including any body rust, dents or dings and some here will tell you what they would be willing to pay. Don't forget to include mileage and maintenance as well as any repairs you did.

I dont know man, but for as long as I can remember the cheapest sobs I know all drove these older diesel pickups, and now they are driving gas burners.

Between what they have done to diesel fuel and the price difference, it isnt nearly the deal it used to be.

for what a good fuel system and starting system costs you can have a decent gas burning pickup.

it all depends on what you need and like.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont know man, but for as long as I can remember the cheapest sobs I know all drove these older diesel pickups, and now they are driving gas burners.

Between what they have done to diesel fuel and the price difference, it isnt nearly the deal it used to be.

for what a good fuel system and starting system costs you can have a decent gas burning pickup.

it all depends on what you need and like.

Lets compare apples to apples here. If my truck were a gasser it would have a 460. If my truck were a gasser it would get 6MPG which in no way can compare to a minimum of 14 with a diesel engine. Yes diesel may be higher than gas and in this area by 30 cents more a gallon so with that said I am way ahead even if I am paying more for diesel.

Let's talk about maintenance, gasser need spark plugs, spark plug wires distributor caps, miscellaneous pollution control equipment fuel filters, air filters, oil changes etc. Their are a lot more electrical components involved and then you have the catalytic converter. A diesel requires less maintenance hands down.

A lot less components to an IDI compared to a gasser. Less components equals less problems. Also I highly doubt that you can get half a million miles out of a gasser but a diesel you can.

saltbranch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not keep it and buy a small higher mpg vehicle. I have pretty much parked my 89 F-350 during the week and using my 96 Tacoma for a daily driver due to fuel cost/mpg difference. Definetly not getting rid of the IDI, they just make diesels as good as these old ones,IMO.

farmboy9090

Reaction score
I think the main issue with wanting a gas is this truck of mine just takes forever to fill up with the Fords Greatest fillerneck:puke: I have wollowed out the air vents, put the rear tires on a block of wood which has helped but it still takes forever and the more I think about it if I buy another truck that truck is going to have issues right away to fix anyways. I will probably remove the rollover valves on the tanks and loop the vent hose under the bed. Has anyone had on real issues with doing this. Also the previous owner added two leafs on both sides in the front because he said the front would bottom out on the stops driving down the road so with the front sitting a little higher the tires look like \---/. How much effort and money would have to be done to correct this.

wmoguy

Reaction score
The math mile for mile is not in it for a diesel any longer unless you really rack up the miles or constantly pulling large loads. Even in these old trucks, you can buy a gasser for half of what the idi like truck sells for. Fuel is more, I disagree that the upkeep is significantly cheaper and I also disagree that the idi is significantly more reliable than an equally cared for gasser.
The only way the diesel gets cheaper to own and operate outside of high mileage use is if you make your own fuel. The cost difference in comparable diesel over gas isn't there when you take an unbiased approach and simply do the math....

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was in the same boat as you, had a diesel truck that didnt get used like it should and nickle and dimed me. I broke down and sold it to buy a gas truck. I havent looked back much except a few times at the gas pump, overall Im happy with the decision.

But honestly a half ton ford with a straight six and a 5 speed will rival any diesel truck in the fuel economy department and is dirt cheap to maintain. I had one for 5 years and maintained 16 mpgs average all around and i tuned it up twice and put a clutch in it. On a long hi-way trip 20 mpgs wasnt uncommon to see. It doesnt get any cheaper than that in a truck . When I sold it 3 years ago it had 208k miles on it and I still see it driving around occasionally.

Unless your constantly loaded or pulling trailers, driving around a huge diesel truck just doesnt pay off, especially if you cant repair and maintain them yourself.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vinceslamer

Members online

No members online now.