Just bought my first PSD>>>>>

chach3835

DIESEL BURNER HERE
Reaction score
I will pick it up Friday 99 F250 Crew CAb 4x4 7.3 Diesel SRW short bet AT.

OK guys this is my first PSD and I will be learning a lot more as far as motor is concern. I paid ok ready............$6500;Sweet for her she is dirty and needs to be detailed inside but had 202k miles and drove tight and has manual lock outs and everything shifted fine and blow by was normal for a diesel. It the guys daily driver and had a new job and just leased a new car so neede to move the truck. Right place right time. I will post pictures in a day or two.

One thing he did tell me was that it needed either glow plugs or the relay, that is what Ford told him. OK my question is ,,,,,where is the best place to get the glow plugs (motorcraft) correct. If I have to get the relay where is it located and where do I get it? Autoparts store?

Im going to be coming for you experts for questions and hope you all are ready for me to pick your brain.

I did notice the turbo on her was not that loud like others. I could here her spool up but, I think I need more power:love: Which is the best way ...a programmer? What is the normal sound for these turbos loud or quiet? They are waste gate correct?

Chach Ill be asking you guys more stuff down the road:thumbsup:

Picture added............needs tires and she needs a big time clean up but all there for a hell of a price..........well I think so anyways.

Attachments

• 99f250truck.jpg
    99f250truck.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

st6psycho

Reaction score
powerstrokeshop.com if u can wait for parts and want authintic ford parts is the cheapest place to go turbo is loud once u get an intake and take the **** off ur turbo pipes and i even took the insulator off under the hood gets louder if u take the cat and muffler off but depending wat state ur in i would hold onto them once u do the above u have a good sounding truck lol for the power i gutted my ebp valve got 3 more boost and lowered egts by like 100 offf the shelf ts flip chip is the best bar none i run this and the 18k mod look it up on how to do it and i have had the best luck with a 3.5 k resistor shorten ur wastgate control as far as it will go and u could get ur turbo to 35 pnds with a chip anything else ive prolly tried it just let me no..
rw

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Um, the stock turbo might make 35 psi........
......but it won't last long
+1
i have three dead early SD turbos sitting on the ground. changing them to the later SD style turbo is a very expensive proposition. good part is the early motors still had forged rods.

st6psycho

Reaction score
will agree.. but my philosophy in life is break it and replace it iwth somthing better lol.. i do have a buddy of mine who bought a 97 non intercoold psd obs that i swear that does 42 with a stock turbo.... iv driven it and its scary fast at times and it only has 200cc injectors but ya now i need to find wood to knock on because i was getting 35 out of my gutted turbo meaning 1.15 ar housing turbo van flange and it went in like 6 months lol...

i would argue though if u have an auto in ur truck and u can keep the boost up while shifting in order to not cause shudder do to the quick change in pressure on the exh. side and intake side u could probly run a stock at 40 wat has destroyed many turbos is reving out really fast then just letting off the gas... everyone should no the shuddering im tlkn about with the stock turbo...

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
as for a chip/programmer it depends on what you want chips can be touchy getting them connected and some programmers you can't shift levels on the fly. I think the general consensus is a custom program is the best for power and general programers are cheaper and I beleive most will read codes. You need to decide what you want and let us know what you expect out of a chip/programmer. I have a first gen edge evolution on my 96 and just ordered the second gen edge evolution for my 03 it was the cheapest way I found to get gauges and a programmer.

chach3835

DIESEL BURNER HERE
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the info, As of right now just trying to pep her up for street and towing , not looking to take her down the drag strip. I have my Mustang for that fun :)

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
WELCOME TO THE DARKSIDE!

;Sweet A DVM and di-lectric grease will become your new best friends!

Use only Motorcraft ZD11 gp's and for a reliable GP relay,one of deeze

Also I would check the under valve cover harness and connections...total replacement if burned will be around $200 for parts...a wise investment!

Gauges will and should be the next investment before any program or power adders!

Best of luck :cheers:

chach3835

DIESEL BURNER HERE
Reaction score
I plan to go this route. GP and relay......then air intake, then give her a new exhaust to open her up. Then would be to get some gagues or does all that come with Edge programmer? Not doing it all at once one step at a time. I still have to have money for my Stang and my other Restorations ;)

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Welcome to the Dark side;Poke:peelout

I plan to go this route. GP and relay......then air intake, then give her a new exhaust to open her up. Then would be to get some gagues or does all that come with Edge programmer? Not doing it all at once one step at a time. I still have to have money for my Stang and my other Restorations ;)

I'd reverse that order.... and I have not used this guy (powerstrokeshop.com) but local dealer has good prices, (for me atleast) or just use one of or sponsors for the best prices!

st6psycho

Reaction score
man i donno about u guys but my local dealers **** me horrably i try to avoid using ford parts the last couple of things iv bought stamped with ford failed a month after there 1 yr warrenty lol h20drx check out that website and let me no wat u think bc if u got a better resource for cheap factory parts i want in the loop lol bc some stuff u have to purchase factory parts

heres something i need replaced...my powersteering cooler colerain ford wants 105 the list msrp is 102 and powerstroke org is wanting 74 plus 6 for shipping lol

Last edited:

chach3835

DIESEL BURNER HERE
Reaction score
Am I correct that the Edge programer comes with Tranny temp, Pyro, and Boost? Pound for pound what would you guys suggest as far as rating the Programers. Like the Top 5 again not looking to go extreme just want some extra Get up and go out of her.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
All I can say is look around for an exhaust I looked and actually found a more expensive place but they offerd free shipping and so it would make the total cheaper. Ok the thing about the edge is it reads the info from computer and displays it with actual numbers. Now if this is ok or not I dunno I used my old edge on a buddys truck with a gauge and I can't remember for sure but I think the edge was reading like 50 degs higher then the gauge which is probably all due to the sender location. The edge shows 4 different gauges that you can choose what it shows it comes with a EGT probe and it should be a piece of cake to install the egt probe is the most involved and everything else is just plug and play. I haven't got mine yet but I can't beleive it could take long to get installed. Is there better programmers with more power probably and is there better gauges probably but for $430 shipped it was the cheapest way I could find to get my cake and eat it to