junkyard find

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
found me a onan/cummunis 4.5k genset, talked them down to $200 on it. all I need to find out if it work is a starter, now I can say I got a cummunis in my truck:sly

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

hotshotidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ssweet nice find all you got to do is tap into you home heating tank with a fuel pump for a whole house generator

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sure looks like a Onan gas engine to me...is that a carb in the top pick with the fuel line leading to it????

Regardless of engine excellent score for sure

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes it is a gas 2 cyl motor, no for sure what hp it is thoung. wish it was diesel but aint bad

racin460

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you need parts iv been saving them in the junk yard I have 4 of them off to the side id like to make one good but bought a Yamaha inverter(quiet)

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
about all I missing that I would need is a starter, this aint gong to be any loader than my 30 gal compressor. I like to figer out a way to them a combo and put the air tank on the frame. that keep compressor from working its self free

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a BGE they are easy to fix....The starters are known to fail if not used for a while.. Also the float bowl clogs with old fuel and corrodes because of the new fuels today.....Clean it good and count the turns to bottom out the main jet on the bottom of the carb...add 1/4 turn open for todays leaner fuel....that Gen only has two 120 volt out circuits....they are in the same phase so you can't wire it for 220 output just two circuits of 120 volts...still you got a nice unit if you can get it running.....

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this one has a model # of 4.5bgdib and has a 220/240 plug on it, but still good to know

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
I believe the forum is called smokestack.com? If that's correct, you'll be quite at home there. They live, breathe and eat old gensets like that. From fairbanks morse to onan/cummins, you'll find support on there. Post info and they will flood you with all the service and owners manuals for your generator

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online