Junkyard engine issues. Dont overseal your gaskets?

Rusgo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Grabbing a set of 6.9 cylinder heads today at picknpull. Looks like the engine was rebuilt at some point. The tiny rusty cooling passages at the top of the head gasket had a column of sealant trailing off out of them. Like there was too much sealant used and the cooling system drew it through before it cured.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If a little is good a lot must be better! LOL

Yeah some people get carried away. A little dab will do ya!

Rusgo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure it's not block seal?....

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I always thought blocker seal crystalized and hardened? This stuff was like one inch long stranded coming out of the holes. The consistency resembled clear rtv.

If it is block seal, not too great either! The block looked rebuilt at some point. The cylinder walls had so pretty great cross hatching on them and the gaskets looked newer.

Rusgo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dropped the heads off at the machine shop for a complete rework! They looked pretty great, but it's like waiting for the call from a doctor.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Actually, I think it does.
I'm just not seeing any reason to use anything on the headgaskets. Lol clear would likely be silicone. Aka, not automotive compatible.

Rusgo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the deal with the the tiny coolant passages in the head gasket anyway? Kind of scary that they could be clogged pretty easily. Anybody every open them up a bit?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Iirc, the 7.3 doesn't even flow coolant through the head.
I believe on the 6.9 you can open up the head end. Been awhile since it's been talked about.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s just an aftermarket head gasket that has a orange sealant layer around the water jackets, I see them a lot.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
That’s just an aftermarket head gasket that has a orange sealant layer around the water jackets, I see them a lot.
I didn't think he was talking about the orange stuff, I thought he meant actually in the coolant passages.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The picture that’s posted is the deck surface with the head gasket still on it, you can’t see the coolant ports there, that’s why it looks like such a small pinhole. The picture of the parts on the trolly you can see the ports are much larger and just have the regular surface rust on the inside of the coolant ports.

Rusgo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The picture that’s posted is the deck surface with the head gasket still on it, you can’t see the coolant ports there, that’s why it looks like such a small pinhole. The picture of the parts on the trolly you can see the ports are much larger and just have the regular surface rust on the inside of the coolant ports.
I meant the small pinhole passage in the head gasket. Can it be opened up? Does the 7.3 have the same tiny hole on the upper head gasket passages?

Rusgo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heard back from the cylinder head shop. Heads were in really decent shape.

Valves weren't sealing great, but I wanted them fresh anyway.

And had a small crack in the intake mounting surface that needs repair. Odd place for a crack to form..with it being so far away from the combustion chamber.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I meant the small pinhole passage in the head gasket. Can it be opened up? Does the 7.3 have the same tiny hole on the upper head gasket passages?
By "upper head gasket passages", I assume that you mean the ones that are toward the top of the heads as pictured with the exhaust ports facing up. These are actually in the lower front and rear corners of the block. Yes they can be opened up. These are inserts that come with the new head gaskets. They have to be used. Wes did take a die grinder and cut his open a little bit larger. These are also the places that 79Jasper was talking about when he said that 7.3s don't flow coolant through the heads. That was misspoken. 7.3s don't flow coolant through these ports, but they do have coolant flowing through the heads.

Rusgo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you look on the upper part of the block/head gasket, closer to the intake valley side of the gasket, you can see the 3 larger rusty looking circles with a pin size holes going through the gasket. So the cooling passage made the rust circles, but the actual passage through the gasket is like a penhead size. And those small holes were clogged.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online