jerking in front end

longhorn795

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1989 ford and i just got done putting a new front end on cause some of my ring gear teeth were broke and my 4x4 wasnt working. So i switched it all out for another f250 front end that i baught thinking it has to be a 4:10s, so i looked at the ring gear on it and it has the same exact amount of teeth as on my old one but i forgot to see if the pinion gear was the same, my gear's are 4:10's in the rear and after i put it all back together my front wheel's want to jerk and act like there kicking back while driving in 4x4. Could the pinion's be diffrent? thanks

mobilemech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1989 ford and i just got done putting a new front end on cause some of my ring gear teeth were broke and my 4x4 wasnt working. So i switched it all out for another f250 front end that i baught thinking it has to be a 4:10s, so i looked at the ring gear on it and it has the same exact amount of teeth as on my old one but i forgot to see if the pinion gear was the same, my gear's are 4:10's in the rear and after i put it all back together my front wheel's want to jerk and act like there kicking back while driving in 4x4. Could the pinion's be diffrent? thanks

what were the numbers on the ring gear? 41 and 11 would be 3.73, 41 and 10 would be 4.10.

longhorn795

Full Access Member
Reaction score
we didnt look at the pinion gear, it probably is a 3:73 , only looked at the ring gear teeth i wa sin a hurry to get back together. So i guess i can just put my old pinion back in right and it would work?

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If memory serves, I don't think that those two ring gears are the same - even though they have the same number of teeth. You may get away with just swapping the pinion, but I don't think the gears will mesh properly.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
pull it back apart and count it up. no need in swappin the rear or front untill you figure out what you have in there. in 4x4 when you turn the wheels its gonna jerk a little. not sure if yours jerks all the time or what.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
and in your avatar looks like you have 2 different size tires front and rear. that will make it jerk also

mobilemech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
we didnt look at the pinion gear, it probably is a 3:73 , only looked at the ring gear teeth i wa sin a hurry to get back together. So i guess i can just put my old pinion back in right and it would work?

The pinion is matched to the ring gear, swapping pinions will not work. Like stated, take it apart to verify. Like stated; the front wheels will jerk a little when steering, and tire size does have a lot of influance also. If you do take it apart, the ring gear will have the ring gear and the pinion gear tooth count stamped on the edge where the part # is. It will be like I posted, 41 10 or 41 11 or what ever the #'s are, you divide the larger # by the smaller # to get the ratio.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is NO need to take it apart to check gear ration if you have access to a nice flat spot you can drive the truck back and forth a bit.

in 2wd mark the REAR drive shaft yoke and the pumpkin with a pen or some kind of mark that lines up. Now mark the tyre sidewall on the ground dead center.

With a second person watching/and counting...slowly drive straight forward one revolution of the tyre while counting the revolutions of the pinion past the marks made. 3 and 3/4 turns of pinion = 3:73 gears 4 turns and a wee bit = 4:10 gears.

Now with the front driveshaft removed OR THIS CAN BE DONE IN TWO Wheel Drive if you have courage and DONT SHIFT TCASE OUT OF 2WD

Do the same procedure with the front axle...hubs in this will cause the front wheels to drive the ring gear and subsequently the pinion. AS LONG AS YOU LEAVE TCASE IN 2WD NOTHING WILL HAPPEN! Count again and you're golden....compare the two counts...are the axles ratios the same? Or NOT?

I have personally done the above method many many times...with no harm to any vehicle so long as they are kept in the 2WD.

Do at your own risk I assume no responsibility for your actions.

Hope this helps

Al

longhorn795

Full Access Member
Reaction score
same tire size all the way around, it's jerking going straight forward so it cant be the right ratio in the front. I was also wandering I have a 96 f250 and im going to be putting a locker in the front end of it, i thought about just putting it's front end in the 89 ford but im pretty sure it has the dana 44 and the 96 a dana 60 if im correct dont know much about front end's. So im guessing that wouldnt work would it? is the axle's diffrent size?

mobilemech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 86 has a dana 44ttb and it is factory that way so it may be a 44. the 96 is a dana 50 ttb though. look at the hubs, if they are the same size then they are the same axle. small hub is a 44 large hub is a 50. the hub on a 50 is the same as a 60 but they are differant axels.

longhorn795

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah my 89 has a 44 cause it is the smaller hub's cause when i put bearing's in it was the small one's, but the 44 and the 50 have same axles right if i switched them out? thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online