Is This What Coking Looks Like?

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my glow plugs have started to fail and I have pulled plug 1 and 2 and it looks to me that they are coverd in coke. Is this really what I am seeing or is this normal build up? I have been running a WMO 50%/ D2 47%/ RUG 3% blend.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like coking, but looks more like swelling. What brand of GP's are they?

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are champions and I do believe some have swollen up. Looks like I should pull the injectors and carefully clean the coke off then next weekend.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Cleaning what you suppose is a diry injector tip can be more involved than you think. I'm not sure brushing off the tips are going to do anything for the injectors. Replacing them is a better idea because they are pulled out. If you just want to clean them some water injection will do that for you and the carbon blows out the exhaust. Once an injector is out pop testing it and shimming it to bring the pop pressure up to the standard is another possibility too. You will need to harvest old injectors for the shims. Nobody sells shims. Keeping everything clean is another issue. Taking an injector apart. Cleaning it. Lapping it and then pop testing it can take way more time than you think. Its usually not a one day job either.. Most injectors pop at 1850 lbs. The G codes pop at 2200 lbs.

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now I am between a rock and a hard place. As you know Gary my injectors are old (96000) miles, unfortunately it is a little harder to set-up water-**** injection on a N/A since I don't have a boost switch to trigger the injection under hard load.

As of right now I need to get these Motorcraft plugs in and the Champions out.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can run a trigger off the kickdown rod somehow im sure

also the tip of the injector goes into the precup you will want to clean the hole out too

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A real easy way to inject water is fill a pressurized garden sparayer. Then run about 1500 rpm or higher and start the spary into the intake opening. Not thru the filter but directly into the intake. That surely will clean out the carbon. As for old injectors.. Not so. Yes, they are near the end life but you still have about 50,000 miles to go. Most feel 125,000 miles and they are done. Others feel 150,000 miles and they are done. Some still run them at over 200,000 miles and state they work fine. Thats not my opinnion on mileage so figure about 125 to 150 thousand miles for injectors anfd pump. You will be surprised how much better a properly timed engine runs and the fuel mileage is a nice bonus too.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could see a couple ways to trigger a water system. You could use a throttle position type switch (think NOS type thing). It would kick in when you give it a good dose of loud pedal. You could do a momentary button in the cab but you would have to be a little careful with it. Could possible do something with the kick-down as well. Again would be some type of plunger/contact switch. Might want a short time delay relay or something in there so that the engine has a couple three seconds to start winding up before you go dumping the water/methanol type mix into it. If you were clever, you might be able to pull a voltage reading off the pyro to trigger it too. That would be more challenging because its an analog signal and not a digital signal like a contact switch closing.

To be honest, I'd probably want a combination of a couple things to trigger a water system even with a turbo engine. Check out the tech articles. There is a pretty good write-up on doing water/methanol that might give you some ideas.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I was not referencing the water **** injection. Just s water spray into the intake form a garden sprayer is all. That could be done sitting in the driveway or run from inside the cab with a long hose. Its simple and easy. All your doing is blasting the carbon out. How long or now many miles that takes is not known really. How would you know if there is coke in the precups and how ya gonna know its gone. Its all a worry about whats possible. Spending the money to buy or fab up a water injection system is not what I have posted about. Just simple seat of your pants spray is all.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Little off topic maybe, can a person use GP's to watch carbon build up or lack of build up..???
Or do the heat cycles of Gp's keep them somewhat clean, not a good indicator...????

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online