Is there a way to check for bad rings?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Should I even be worried about using a little oil. If your burning I gal every 5k, it sounds like what I have is normal?

Thanks

Normal acceptable oil consumption for a NEW diesel engine is usually around 1 qt per 800 miles, which would work out to 6.25qts in 5000 miles. At the rate mine is burning at 1 gal per 5000 miles, in essence , if I were changing on a normal 3-5000 mile change schedule, I would have to be adding close to zero oil in between changes which is excellent. it's just that I happen to be running a bypass filter with synthetic so I don't have to change on normal intervals so I have to add the occasional 1/2 gal of oil to keep it topped up. Not bad considering I haven't changed the stuff in over 70,000 miles ;Sweet ( it actually used less earlier on but the additive package gets a little hammered over time and it begins to burn a bit more as time goes on )

I just went back and looked , if you are only using a qt in 2k miles , that is nothing to be upset about. the rate will likely increase a bit in the next 3k miles as the oil wears out and gets diluted with contaminants, but should still stay well within acceptable levels of consumption.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
x2 on a good dosing of AutoRX. I'm getting ready to give my truck another cleaning in the Spring, but the first one cleaned the engine well and gave me more power and less oil consumption.

Follow the AutoRX directions, the only thing I do different is change the filter after 500 miles and cut it open to see what/how much funk is coming out of the engine, but I'm just a curious filtration ****** maybe :D

The amout of oil consumption you are dealing with isn't that terrible IMHO, probably varnished up oil deposits.

Good luck ;Sweet

Trying my best

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, I just ordered 2 bottles of rx. If I change the filter after 500 miles won't all the oil drain out? Or is the filter high enough where the oil won't drain?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online